>”That said the type of question of being that Heidegger does seems largely
>absent in Peirce.”

I do not disagree. And after glancing quickly through Joseph’s linked article,
I take the point being made.  However, people have a limited time on this
earth, and it would be interesting to see the narrative evolve were it possible
to bring key thinkers together. In my 2001 Semiotica article, I referenced
Peirce’s observation “the man is the thought” to make my point “the culture is
the thought”. There is no reason why, given enough time, Peirce would not have
come to appreciate the importance of phenomenology au Heidegger.

Ultimately we are all talking about the same thing (might I suggest – knowing
how to be), and the fact that some people are bringing different lenses to the
conversation does not mean that they are necessarily wrong to do so. Framed in
the context of knowing how to be, might that not ultimately be what both
pragmatism and phenomenology distill to? Phenomenology (Heidegger) concerns
itself with being, and pragmatism concerns itself with establishing the things
that matter… I suggest that there necessarily exists a common point of
intersection between them.

Or to put it another way… There is much more to pragmatism than simply
exercising mind-body predispositions to establish the things that matter.
Humans in culture observe what others are doing in order to fast-track the
learning process, and it is not trivial or incidental. We are not talking just
“memes”… think of our accents when we speak. Imitation au Dawkinsian memetics
is simplistic, but imitation in the context of pragmatism and knowing how to be
plays a very important role. Why would Peirce, given enough time on this earth,
not come to a similar understanding? I mean, once we go down this path, other
possibilities with important and practical consequences enter into the
narrative… for example, gender roles within the context of culture.

And as per the point that I’ve made in other conversations… imitation is
integral to overcoming entropy. Knowing how to be brings physics and philosophy
together into a shared narrative.