Clark, List:

Great stuff.  Just a couple of quick questions for now.

CG:  In this case the dynamic object sets at the start of semiosis but
contains within it virtually all the ways it can be represented. Now the
actual mechanics of that representing are of course unique and tied to
chance. But in terms of potential the original dynamic object *determines* the
immediate object and then the interpretant through the sign.

Would it then be accurate to say that the Dynamic Object virtually contains
the Immediate Object, which virtually contains the Sign, which virtually
contains the Immediate Intepretant, which virtually contains the Dynamic
Interpretant, which virtually contains the Final Interpretant?  I am still
getting a handle on what exactly we (and Peirce) mean by "virtual."

CG:  I probably should have added that Peirce either directly or indirectly
gets the term “dynamic” from Plato. In Plato in places like *The Sophist* we
talk of the lively possibility (*dunamis*) of being. This also pops up in
Aristotle as well where we oppose Potential and Actuality. Potential as
*dunamis* is sometimes called power, capacity or possibilty. Again if we’re
talking about an object’s being as being able to be represented then this
terminology makes perfect sense.

If this is the case, then what accounts for Peirce's consistent assignment
of "Dynamic" to the *actual* Object and Interpretant, rather than the
*possible* (Immediate) Object and Interpretant?

Thanks,