Clark, List:

CG:  The immediate object would be the environment of speakers relevant to
the use.

How do we reconcile this with the Immediate Object being internal to the
Sign?

CG:  Likewise semiotically water the substance determines water the
universal which in turn determines all these things. (H2O is a possible
representation of the water-subtance and thus is virtually within water as
the substance and a dynamic object)

How do we reconcile this with "water the substance" being an actual and
"water the universal" being a necessitant?  Once we get over that hump, I
assume that "H2O" the symbol (not just any particular instantiation
thereof) is determined by "water the universal," both of which are
necessitants.

And if "H2O ... is virtually within water," which is the virtual X and
which is the X in Peirce's dictionary definition?

Thanks,

Jon