Jeff, Gary F., List:

GF:  That would seem to mean that the Interpretant determines whether the
sign is icon, index or symbol. I don’t see how that could work ...

I was just thinking about how to make this same point.  My understanding of
Peirce is that the sign determines the interpretant to have the same
relation to the object that the sign itself has, which is presumably why
the interpretant-object relation is never treated as a separate
trichotomy.  Therefore, it seems to me that the sign-object relation must
precede the interpretant in the order of determination.