  From: Helmut Raulien
  To: jeffrey.down...@nau.edu
  Cc: Gary Richmond ; Peirce-L
  Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 3:28 PM
  Subject: Aw: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Theory of Thinking

  Jeff, list,
  you wrote: " Whether we call that embodied system of Ideas and Ideals
"Nature" or "God" matters little to me--so long as we grow to appreciate the
Beauty, Goodness and Truth of its Divine character."
  I think the same. Somebody wrote some weeks ago, that there is a saying that
philosophers spend most of their time not elaborating theories, but discussing
about the meanings of terms. I guess, this also applies to theologists, the
medieval scholastics too, and that "God" is such a term. I also think, that the
discussion between atheists and theists is not about whether God exists or not,
but what the term "God" means. And, presuming it means that He is a person,
then the discussion perhaps is mostly about the meaning of the term "person":
An atheist might say: Nature and evolution are nonpersonal, but nevertheless
quite intelligent systems, and a theist might answer: But an intelligent system
is a person, so why should I not call it "God". An atheist might claim, that
everything is only based on a simple principle: The "Horror Vacui" of nature.
Then a theist might answer: The simpler the tools are, that achieve great
complexity, the greater must be the intelligence that has invented these tools.
I can think of a discussion between an atheist and a theist, like a theater
play, and in the end comes out, that both share exactly the same philosophy,
just the atheist does not want to say "God", and the theist does.
  Best,
  Hlmut
   23. September 2016 um 20:32 Uhr