John Collier, John Sowa, Kirsti Maatanen, Edwina Taborsky, list:

John Collier:
But that is my point.  Isn't a pragmatic maxim to be taken strictly since
it is carefully crafted, with logographic necessity, then it shouldn't be
handled loosely.  To say that such things are in the pragmatic maxim (the
pragmatic maxim and not a pragmatic maxim) also implies that it is in ONE
pragmatic maxim, the best one.  So, which one?  I think this is the matter
that does not get criticized enough.

______

John Sowa, Edwina:

"*logos* means something rather like calculation than religion..." ~Strauss

“The little matter of distinguishing one, two, and three --in a word, number
and calculation: --do not all arts and sciences necessarily partake of
them?

Sophist, statesman, philosopher! O my dear Theodorus, do my ears truly
witness that this is the estimate formed of them by the great calculator
and geometrician?”
~Plato

“By understanding both sophistry (in its highest as well as in its lower
meanings) and statesmanship, one will understand what philosophy
is.”~Strauss

“When a reputable witness makes, or witnesses make, an assertion which
experience renders highly improbable, or when there are other independent
arguments in its favor, each independent argument *pro* or *con* produces a
certain impression upon the mind of the wise man, dependent for its
quantity upon the frequency with which arguments of those kinds lead to the
truth, and the algebraical sum of these impressions is the resultant
impression that measures the wise man’s state of opinion on the whole.”
~Peirce

The way begets one;
One begets two;
Two begets three;
Three begets the myriad creatures.

~Lau 42

____________

Kirsti,

You said:

I just wished to point out that it indeed is very important to study in
detail the exact wording CSP worked with for decades. Especially those
wordings he stick up with in his latest years.

Peirce is greatly enhanced through a direct examination of nature.

“That is why I prefer the study of nature,” said Goethe, “which does not
allow such sickness to arise. For there we have to do with infinite and
eternal truth that immediately rejects anyone who does not proceed neatly
and honestly in observing and handling his subject. I am also certain that
many a person who is dialectically sick could find a beneficial cure in the
study of nature."

And Plato because “It (pragmaticism) appears to have been virtually the
philosophy of Socrates.”

And Aristotle because, “The principles therefore are, in a way, not more in
number than the contraries, but as it were two, nor yet precisely two,
since there is a difference of essential nature, but three…”

So, if Aristotle, Plato and Nature to understand Peirce, then how many
years for each and how would you resolve any differences, should any
conflicts arise?  Which should take precedence?

I would recommend starting with Nature, then all three; more or less…

If true, then there should be no conflict and the problem would lie with
me.

"Now the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the
rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers of his
own assertions. And the difference between him and me at the present moment
is merely this — that whereas he seeks to convince his hearers that what he
says is true, I am rather seeking to convince myself; to convince my
hearers is a secondary matter with me." ~Plato on the attitude in dialectic

Best,
Jerry Rhee