Dear list:

I think one can easily underestimate the possibilities of what one is doing
when one is playing games and potential consequences.

“The discussion of questions like these brings one face to face with
problems which offer as much intellectual challenge as quantum
indeterminacy or Bohr’s complementarity.  Theorists in general science have
staked out claims for a variety of fields in this area- games theory,
decision theory, systems theory, and the like.

It is not clear to the biologists wrestling with actual situations that
many of these “disciplines” amount to anything more than the formulation of
a lot of problems for which no solutions can be provided; there seems to be
a singular dearth of actually proved theorems which the biologists can take
over and employ.

Possibly the people who are trying to discover how to set up a computer to
learn to play good chess, or bridge, are among those most likely to make a
major contribution to the fundamental theory of evolution.”

~Conrad Waddington, Towards a Theoretical Biology, Nature, 1968