thanks jon,

that was much better than sending me off to links that are so abstruse, one
would expect a novice to walk away sight-unseen.

If the point is to accommodate "a way of organizing growing domains of
objects, without having to specify in advance all the objects there are",
then don't you think CP 5.189 achieves this?  So, why wouldn't one look
there first?