Jerry, list - as someone with no background in chemistry, I have a
few questions:

        1) I understand your analysis using the 'doctrine of valency' in
chemistry and, as you point out, Peirce was a chemist. Now, in
Robert's, p.115, he shows several figures - and figure 3 'represents
triadic spots'. And he explains that the definition of the rhema or
spot, which is the proposition [subject and predicate] - can be shown
by a line/tail and heavy dot, so to speak. A monad has one dot and an
open/loose end or tail. If you join two monads/spots you get closure,
i.e., no open ends.  A dyad has two open ends/tails but if you add
another, you'll get another dyad [which is the problem with
linearity]. But the triad - and the image is the same as that given
in 1.347- obviously, since Roberts is working from that section. [See
also Peirce 3.470]. I hope I've understood you correctly.

        2) I still don't see why this isn't an image of the semiosic triad.
The rhema is the proposition, i.e., a semiosic relation made up of a
subject and predicate. In a triadic spot/rhema/proposition which has
three 'loose ends' or blank forms -  which means, as I understand it,
that it is open to being filled by some subject. So, the representamen
as a predicate connects to the 'subjects' of the Dynamic Object and to
the Dynamic Interpretant..and even, to its own nature in itself. That,
to me - shows the triad - but the key to this semiosis is the 'loose
ends or blank forms which enable interactions rather than dyadic
closure or monadic/medad closure.

        Now- what am I missing in this view?

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Thu 13/04/17  3:59 PM , Jerry LR Chandler
jerry_lr_chand...@icloud.com sent:
 List:
 (This post is rather technical and the contents may be intractably
perplex for many readers of this list.  One purpose of this post is
to crisply separate the fundamental philosophical concept of identity
from the mathematical concept of identity.  To differentiate CSP view
of lines of identity from classical views, see McGinn’s, Logical
Properties, 2000, OUP Chapter 1, p.1-14, Identity, for an overview of
one philosopher’s notion of “Identity" )