Stephen CR, Gary F, and Kirsti,

I also received some offline comments, which I'll start with.
And I'm including a slightly revised copy of CSPsciences.jpg.

Anon
Might it be useful to label/annotate the relationships and have
a legend which describes the motivations behind the divisions
via the labels?

Certainly.  That diagram shows the top level of the classification.
The dotted lines show the dependencies Peirce mentioned.  But it's
very hard to squeeze more detail into the interstices.  It took me
several iterations to find a way to minimize the line crossings.

As an overview, I'd recommend that diagram (or something like it).
But I'd draw more detailed diagrams for each of the three branches.

Anon
Why did you put logic in two different locations?

In EP 2.259, Peirce wrote "Mathematics may be divided into (a) the
Mathematics of Logic, (b) the Mathematics of Discrete series, and
(c) the Mathematics of Continua and pseudo-continua."   But in
EP 2.260, he wrote "Logic is the theory of self-controlled, or
deliberate, thought; and as such, must appeal to ethics for its
principles."

That distinction is critical, but it's buried in a mass of verbiage.
The diagram highlights the distinction.

Anon
Why did you include informal theories in mathematics?

In the mathematical branch, there are so many modern versions that
I lumped them all in "Formal Theories".  I also added "Informal
Theories" to emphasize the point that formalism is not a prerequisite
for the "diagrammatical reasoning" in mathematical thinking.

Modern mathematicians, in fact, sometimes emphasize that premature
formalization can be an *obstacle* to discovery -- because it may
force thought into channels that distract attention from the central
problem.  George Polya's _How to Solve It_ is a good example.

Stephen
My own effort... leads me to elevate ethics and aesthetics from
their lower place and turn them into the second and third elements
of a root triad (icon index symbol) which I term Reality Ethics
and Aesthetics in that order.

I sympathize.  Normative science deserves a more prominent role
in philosophy teaching and research.  It certainly deserves more
attention.  But in that diagram, I wanted to show that mathematics
and phenomenology are the only two sciences that do not depend
on any other sources.  Normative science depends on them.

Gary F.
If I made any kind of logic a branch of mathematics, I'd call it
"formal logic" as Peirce did...

Good point.  I made that change in CSPscience.jpg.  The quotation
from the "Minute Logic" (CP 4.240) is important.  It should be cited
in any discussion of the classification.

As far as I know, Peirce never used to term 'informal mathematics'.
I realize that diagrams, for Peirce, embody forms (icons).  But
modern mathematicians would call his diagrammatical reasoning
informal.  I used the term 'informal theories' as a "sop" to the
Cerberus that guards the halls of mathematics.

Gary
I think at the very top I might put "Inquiry" instead of "Knowledge,"
but it's not a change I'd fight for.

In my first version, I put "The Sciences" at the top.  One reason
why I chose 'knowledge' is that I plan to use the diagram for some
discussions in Ontolog Forum, where most people know very little
about Peirce.  But 'knowledge representation' is a common term.

Peirce thought in diagrams, and it's a pity that he didn't draw
more to illustrate his own writings.  CSPsciences.jpg is just one.
But many more would be useful to highlight other aspects.

Kirsti
Which cycle do you mean, John? I was talking about cyclical arithmetic

I was discussing the cycle of reasoning in Peirce's logic of pragmatism.
The diagram of that cycle appears as Figure 7 on page 31 of
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/signproc.pdf .

This is another example of the way Peirce could have used diagrams
to clarify his explanations.  It's a pity that Ogden and Richards,
not Peirce, are always cited for "the meaning triangle".