Continuing from Lowell Lecture 2.11:

It still remains to treat the blank and the blot in the same manner.

But when we undertake to predicate of the blank as definitum any definition
we find that no specific permission follows from the existence of a blank,
although the whole possibility of writing graphs depends upon it. That has
therefore to be passed over. As to the predication of the definition
concerning the definitum, this renders it permissible for a blank to
accompany any and every graph scribed on the sheet of assertion. It is truly
fortunate that this is permitted, inasmuch as it would be physically
impossible that a blank should not accompany every graph. The truth is that
the system of existential graphs was intentionally contrived so that this
matter should take care of itself. Here, again, therefore, no permission is
called for.

Passing to the blot, or pseudograph, of which you remember the meaning is
that everything is true, the predication of the definition concerning the
definitum is that within any even number of cuts, where the blot is any
graph we please may be inserted, and within any odd number of cuts, where
the blot is any graph may be erased. The blot, it is true, fills its whole
area, so as to leave no room for any other graph. But there is an equivalent
of it of which this is not true. For since by Permission No 1 every graph on
the sheet of assertion can be transformed into the blank, it follows by the
principle of contraposition that an enclosure containing nothing but a blank
can when evenly enclosed be transformed into anything we please, and
consequently into the pseudograph. The vacant enclosure is, therefore, a
form of the pseudograph. For evenly enclosed it can be transformed [into]
the blot, or the blot can be transformed into it. And since these two
transformations are the reverse of one another, it follows, by the principle
of contraposition, that the same is true within any odd number of cuts. When
the vacant enclosure is oddly enclosed as in this figure

the enclosure on whose area it stands is evenly enclosed and can be erased
by Permission No 1. But when the vacant enclosure is evenly enclosed as in
the next figure

all other graphs in the same enclosure (here represented by x), being evenly
enclosed, can be erased by permission No 1, and then Permission No 4, which
allows a double enclosure round any graph under even enclosures, permits the
double enclosure to be removed under odd enclosures. I mean the double
enclosure formed of the cut of the vacant enclosure together with the cut
enclosing it. This done nothing but a blank remains; and so, within odd and
even numbers of cuts alike, the whole enclosure containing the pseudograph
may be suppressed. We thus get

Permission No 6. Any enclosure containing a blot or other pseudograph may
[be] suppressed whether evenly or oddly enclosed.

The predication of the definitum concerning the definition may be regarded
as giving the last Alpha Fundamental Permission.

Permission No 7. A vacant cut may be treated as a pseudograph.

These seven permissions being, however, somewhat confusing, I replace them
by a compact little code which I call the three primary rules. It runs as
follows:

*       Erasure and Insertion. Within even cuts (or none) any graph can be
erased; and within odd cuts any graph can be inserted.
*       Rule of Iteration and Deiteration. Any graph of which a replica is
already scribed may be iterated on the same area as the primitive replica or
within any additional cuts already existing; and of two replicas of the same
graph, one of which is enclosed by every cut that encloses the other, the
former may be erased, this process being termed deiteration.
*       Rule of Insignificants and the Pseudograph. A double enclosure can
be circumposed about any graph or be removed from any graph; and any
enclosure containing a vacant cut or other form of pseudograph can be
suppressed or inserted.

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowell2.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903

https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-455-456-1903-low
ell-lecture-ii