> On Dec 18, 2017, at 7:58 PM, Jeffrey Brian Downard <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>
> wrote:
>
> For this list of categories differs from the lists of Aristotle, Kant, and
> Hegel in attempting much more than they. They merely took conceptions which
> they found at hand, already worked out. Their labor was limited to selecting
> the conceptions, slightly developing some of them, arranging them, and in
> Hegel's case, separating one or two that had been confused with others. But
> what I undertook to do was to go back to experience, in the sense of whatever
> we find to have been forced upon our minds, and by examining it to form clear
> conceptions of its radically different classes of elements, without relying
> upon any previous philosophizing, at all. . [Carnegie application (1902)]

Jerry R responded:
"Dear list,

"For this list of categories differs from the lists of Aristotle, Kant, and
Hegel in attempting much more than they."

It may be incumbent on our part to ask whether Peirce was lying, and why it is
obviously so."

————
Firstly, this extremely broad assertion is puzzling to me.  Its philosophical
content is obscure if one attempts to compare the earlier categories of
Aristotle, Kant and Hegel on a term by term basis.
Since, philosophically, I believe that one only forms categories with a
specific purpose in mind, is CSP merely asserting that he has a different
purpose in mind?

 Can anyone show how CSP’s categories differ in the sense of “attempting much
more than they?”

The assertion,
"and by examining it to form clear conceptions of its radically different
classes of elements, without relying upon any previous philosophizing, at all."

appears to place an extreme constraint on the conceptual meaning of the term
“philosophizing”.
After all, many many philosophers, great and small, have offered concrete lists
of categories, usually embracing a good bit of metaphysics in the process.

What justifies CSP's extreme constraint, especially is view of the huge role of
personal philosophy in defining categories?

Cheers
Jerry