Gary,

I admit that I was annoyed by your note -- because you were dismissing
or belittling experts in lexicography and other fields such as NLP.
Many people working on NLP have PhDs and research contributions in
philosophy, linguistics, logic, and mathematics -- fields in which
Peirce was a major contributor.  To dismiss them out of hand "blocks
the way of inquiry."

I may have misinterpreted Talmy. You also may have misinterpreted
Talmy. We would have to ask him to find out — and even then we
couldn’t be sure.

I know Len Talmy.  I have cited his work for years.  I discussed
related issues with him at conferences and workshops, including
the 1993 Wittgenstein Symposium on Cognitive Science, where both
of us were invited speakers.

Re conceptual alternativity:  I won't claim that my interpretation
is identical to Talmy's, but I believe that his intent was quite
different from polyversity.  I also believe that the difference can
be determined by reading his book and citing appropriate passages.

If you doubt that, I'd be happy to send Talmy an email note with
a one-page statement by each of us and a request for him to decide.

I invented the word for a specific philosophical purpose. Your using it for a very different purpose violates Peirce’s ethics of terminology.

Re polyversity:  I used the definition in your note:
I dealt with polysemy ... by coining the word “polyversity” to
include not only polysemy (the tendency of a word to have various
meanings) but also the tendency of a meaning to be expressible
in various linguistic signs.

Re purpose:  In his ethics of terminology, Peirce said that one should
not coin a new term if there is already a  widely used term with the
same definition.  The original purpose of the (often anonymous) person
who coined any term is irrelevant.  Any use that is compatible with
the definition is appropriate.

“Continuity in meaning is fundamental to the flexibility of
natural languages.” I would go much further, and say that
continuity is fundamental to semiosis itself.

The quoted sentence is not a narrowing of Peirce's principle.  It's
an application of his principle to show how natural languages (NLs)
differ from the rigidly defined formal languages (FLs).

Using the idea of continuity to justify such nonsense is like saying
that because there are no discrete points on a line, it is forbidden
to mark a point on any line for any purpose.

The word 'nonsense' is a rhetorical ploy for ignoring the details.
Formal languages are regimented to have a finite set of meanings
(interpretations) in any finite range.  You don't need markers.

But NLs have infinitely many meanings in any range, no matter
how small.  You can, of course, mark a finite set of points
on a continuous line.  But the probability that the meaning of
the next NL phrase or sentence you encounter will match any
marked point is zero (except for NL statements about a formal
system in math or science).

Not being a practitioner in the NLP field, I don’t care what’s
forbidden in that discipline.

The people who work in NLP do not forbid anything.  They address
the task of taking unrestricted NLs and mapping them to notations
that are forced to be restricted by the nature of formal logics
and the digital computers that process them.

The reason why Peirce's semeiotic is so fundamental to NLP is that he
understood both sides of the issues.  He invented the formal logic that
is used in computer science, he was a lexicographer who wrote or edited
over 16,000 definitions for the Century Dictionary, he wrote an article
about logical machines in 1887, and he recommended electricity instead
of mechanical linkages for implementing those machines.

I’m just a philosopher trying to communicate with others about
the nature of verbal communication.  And I do care about that.

That's a worthy endeavor.  In fact, it's the principle focus of NLP.
Marvin Minsky, one of the founders of artificial intelligence,
included Peirce's article in the 1963 bibliography of AI.  Many
people working on AI and NLP have a higher regard for Peirce's
semeiotic than the typical 20th c analytic philosopher.