List, John, Stephen:

A few technical comment from a chemist may be helpful here because the
semiotics of chemical sciences developed a forma logic for relationships among
all chemical elements. The logical formalism is virtually complete but minor
enhancements are necessary from time to time as the fruits of inquiry into the
nature of matter continue to generate exact knowledge  about the nature of
quantum chemistry, chemistry, and biochemistry.
> On Feb 18, 2018, at 9:24 AM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/18/2018 7:40 AM, Stephen Jarosek wrote:
>> As far as the silicon molecule is concerned, the stone has no context that
>> is relevant to it. The silicon molecule receives no cue from the stone as to
>> what its properties should be.

This sentence is not true.  Any stone that contains the element silicon with
have the property that chemical and mass spectral analysis will show the
presence of the element of silicon. This is positive evidence, far greater than
merely a clue.

> That is not true.  A silicon atom behaves in very different ways in
> different molecules.

This sentence is also not exactly true.  But very nearly so.
A molecule that contains the element silicon must also contain relations
between the parts of the molecule - chemical relations that conjoin the parts
into a whole, such that a formal name exists for the whole.
> In minerals, it is in some molecule, such as
> silicon dioxide.  But SiO2 may combine in more complex molecules,
> such as aluminum silicate.  And those molecules are affected by the
> crystals, glasses, and surface interactions that affect the rock as
> a whole.  Heat, pressure, tension, torsion, and chemical processes
> are transmitted to, from, and through every molecule in the rock.
>
>> The stone is not a system, but an agglomeration of disconnected minerals.

The word “system” can be interpreted in many, many ways.
At one extreme, a stone may be a very loose collection of many mineral of
similar composite or diverse composition. At the other extreme, a stone may be
a crystal composed from two elements, such as a diamond. (Before anyone sends
me a email saying that diamond in pure carbon, I would point out the the
diamond-iod structural surface includes hydrogen bonded to the exterior carbon
atoms.)

> For organic matter, the processes are even complex and organized than
> any human can conceive.

I think this is a bit of an rhetorical exaggeration.
More than 100,000,000 organic compounds have been indexed by the American
Chemical Society.

> And there is a continuum:
This phrase is rather misleading in its meaning in this context.

Each chemical nuclei is an individual mass and electrical unit. It is a
discrete count that associates a specific member of the table of elements with
its logical predicates - its physical properties.  The concept of a continuum,
both in Peircian terms and traditional mathematics) is a mathematical term that
relates to certain predicates of atoms with geometric lines but not to the
names of the atoms themselves.

>  Some inorganic processes somehow evolved
> into those organic processes.

The genesis of organic matter as molecules from inorganic matter as atoms is
very well known in chemistry and molecular biology. This usage is confusing to
me.
The central issues to be explained are the spontaneity of the dynamics of life
and the spontaneity of reproduction.
These two issues necessary involve both quantum chemistry (Penrose twistors for
optical isomers) and the semiotics of genetic symbols as perplex generating
functions for the organization of life from small inorganic and organic
precursors.

>  The inorganic processes that generate
> the earth's weather are extremely complex.  And the weather affects
> and is affected by all the organic processes on earth.  And the earth
> is just one insignificant rocky planet in a run-of-the-mill galaxy
> in one corner of an immensely complex cosmos.

Fine. I concur.

Jerry