Jon, Edwina, and List,

If each of us has a connection to the infinite world, in that world, for
every one truth there are infinite falsehoods. We have a connection to
those falsehoods too. So, given infinity, we search for what's true despite
the fact that 1/infinity=zero. If the world isn't infinite, but some
astronomical number, the problem of scientific progress isn't that
good-luck guesses are impossible but that these guesses would still only
yield an exceedingly slower rate of discovery than what we witness.

Here's Peirce on the problem:

"It is evident that unless man had some inward light tending to make his
guesses on these subjects much more often true than they would be by mere
chance, the human race would long ago have been extirpated for its utter
incapacity in the struggles for existence; or if some protection had kept
it continually multiplying, the time from the tertiary epoch to our own
would be altogether too short to expect that the human race could yet have
made its first happy guess in any science."

He continues with this explanation:

"The mind of man has been formed under the action of the laws of nature,
and therefore it is not so very surprising to find that its constitution is
such that, when we can get rid of caprices, idiosyncrasies, and other
perturbations, its thoughts naturally show a tendency to agree with the
laws of nature."

So, we have an "inward light" due to our minds having been "formed under
the action of the laws of nature."

Does synechism have a feature, called "inward light", which favors
connections to true propositions over false propositions? It must, but how
can that be explained?

Is this problematic? Some men *seem* to have a brighter light than others:

"But it is one thing to say that the human mind has a sufficient magnetic
turning toward the truth to cause the right guess to be made in the course
of centuries during which a hundred good guesses have been unceasingly
occupied in endeavoring to make such a guess, and a far different thing to
say that the first guess that may happen to possess Tom, Dick, or Harry has
any appreciably greater probability of being true than false."

Formation "under the action of the laws of nature" doesn't explain why this
light seems brighter in some men than in others. Peirce explains (or
suggests?) differences in abductive abilities by the differences of their
methods:

"It is necessary to remember that even those unparalleled intelligences
would certainly not have guessed right if they had not all possessed a
great art of so subdividing their guesses as to give to each one almost the
character of self-evidence."

However, recent research, led by Zach Hambrick, has been showing that
people are not equally endowed; method and practice do not explain the
ability gap. I find this problematic for Peirce's explanation of "inward
light."

It still seems like magic to me, especially as compared with how
contructivism in a 'robust relative' philosophy explains how discovery of
truths is possible, viz., that people discover only what people have
created (including artifacts, or spandrels, i.e., consequences of what
people created), and each discovery was merely of what is most useful from
the lot which was actually searched, rather than each discovery being what
is eternally true and found from searching the whole world: the problem for
Margolis isn't <1/infinity> or <1/astronomical-number>, but it's <the
tolerably best / as big a number as we can tolerate> where Tyche isn't such
a devil.

All Peirce quotes are from MS 692.

Matt