From: Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:45 AM
To: Peirce-L
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Three Interpretants

Gary F., List:

I have trouble translating Peirce's assignments of the two Objects and three
Interpretants in these two specific examples into coherent and mutually
compatible definitions for them.  Obviously one possible explanation for this
is that I simply do not correctly understand his theory of semeiotic.  As we
have noted before, our learning styles and ways of thinking are evidently quite
different--I seek a single definition for each term, such that they all fit
together within a comprehensive model.  My objective is to integrate everything
in a way that makes sense to me, and then try to explain it in a way that makes
sense to others; but since Peirce himself offered different and sometimes
conflicting definitions, others will always be able to quibble with any such
model and cite him to bolster their case.

I am also not content to leave certain questions open just because Peirce did.
As Gary R. has noted, he fully expected his successors to go well beyond the
groundwork that he laid as "a pioneer, or rather a backwoodsman" (EP 2:413;
1907).  While there is indeed disagreement among Peirce scholars about how to
reconcile the various names and trichotomies of Interpretants, I do not recall
ever coming across a single passage in his own writings where he indicated that
there are more than three.  Are you aware of any?

I tried to explain my initial reasoning with an example, and then with a
diagram
(https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-03/msg00191/Semiosis.jpg).
Were you also unable to follow that reasoning?

Thanks,

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM,