Gary F., List:

GF:  Now you admit that the “multiple occasions” are down to two; and those
two are both excerpted from manuscript sources which, to my knowledge, have
not been published.

More than one is multiple, and manuscript sources that have not (yet) been
published are the necessary basis for *many *interpretations of Peirce's
views, especially post-1893 since that is as far as the comprehensive
Chronological Edition has gotten so far.  In any case, you continue to
discount the two *explicit *statements that I cited, yet cannot produce
even one where Peirce *explicitly *limited IOs to propositions/Dicisigns
(or IIs to Arguments).

GF:  For instance, those “signs” which are designated as “sinsigns” in the
1903 Syllabus (and elsewhere) are excluded from the universe of “signs” in
KS, by Peirce’s statement that “In the first place, a sign is not a real
thing” (EP2:303).

I suppose that is one interpretation, but I find it implausible that Peirce
used the word "signs" in this statement--let alone throughout KS--when he
really just meant propositions.  Consider a larger excerpt.

CSP:  I now proceed to explain the difference between a *theoretical
*and a *practical
*proposition, together with the two important parallel distinctions
between *definite
*and *vague*, and *individual *and *general*, noting, at the same time,
some other distinctions connected with these. A *sign *is connected with
the "Truth," i.e. the entire Universe of being, or, as some say, the
Absolute, in three distinct ways. In the first place, a sign is not a real
thing. It is of such a nature as to exist in *replicas*. Look down a
printed page, and every *the *you see is the same word, every *e *the same
letter. A real thing does not so exist in replica. The being of a sign is
merely *being represented*. Now *really being* and *being represented* are
very different. Giving to the word *sign *the full scope that reasonably
belongs to it for logical purposes, a whole book is a sign; and a
translation of it is a replica of the same sign. A whole literature is a
sign.

If Peirce only had propositions in mind, surely he would have said so,
since he began by talking about them; but instead, he *emphasized *that the
subject matter of this paragraph (at least after the first sentence) was
Signs in general.  His examples to illustrate specifically that "a sign is
not a real thing" were *not *propositions, but a word and a letter, which
(at most) are Rhemes; and then he also referred to a book, a translation
thereof, and a whole literature as Signs, all of which are (presumably)
Arguments.  Only then did he proceed to offer the proposition about Roxana
and Alexander that you quoted.  I suppose that a case could perhaps be made
that Peirce used "signs" to mean *Symbols* here, but that would be
glaringly inconsistent with his explication of Signs as Icons, Indices, and
Symbols just a few pages later in the very same manuscript (EP 2:306-307).

GF:  In the context of KS, it’s clear that Peirce has propositional signs
in mind in the sentence which begins “Every sign.”

It is clear in that particular context *within *KS because the sentence in
question does not just begin with "Every sign," but with "Every sign that
is sufficiently complete."  I am not at all disputing that a Rheme is
an *incomplete
*Sign, in the sense that it has at least one blank yet to be filled by a
subject.  Nevertheless, it seems to me that the Object must still *somehow *be
represented in the Sign itself, which is precisely the role of the IO.  Can
you provide a quote where Peirce states explicitly that only *complete *Signs,
or only *sufficiently complete* Signs, have IOs?

GF:  After all, Peirce was a logician, and logicians give most of their
attention to propositions and arguments ...

Sure, but all Arguments involve propositions, and all propositions involve
Rhemes.  Even Bellucci implicitly recognizes that all of these Sign types
have IOs in his discussion of the proposition, "Cain kills Abel."  Like all
Symbols, it is Copulative because its (Necessitant) IO is a continuous
predicate--"_____ is in the relation of _____ to _____," where the blanks
are filled with "Cain," "killing," and "Abel," respectively.

FB:  The proposition is thus a "designative" with respect to the objects
that it directly denotes (Cain and Abel) and a "descriptive" with respect
to the object that it denotes by means of characters (the relation of
killing). (pp. 337-338)

Bellucci thus chooses to assign three different Sign classifications to the
proposition itself.  My alternative view is that its constituent
Rhemes are *themselves
*Designatives in the case of "Cain" and "Abel," whose (Existent) IOs are
the named individuals; and a Descriptive in the case of "killing," whose
(Possible) IO is its definition.  The Utterer is presumably familiar with
all three of these IOs from previous Collateral Experience, and the
Interpreter must likewise be familiar with them from previous Collateral
Experience in order for successful communication to occur.

GF:  Another connection becomes apparent when we consider that Peirce’s
division of signs according to their immediate objects produces the
trichotomy vague/actual/general.

And yet, as Bellucci observed (pp. 338-339), Peirce later *generalized *this
trichotomy to Descriptive/Designative/Copulative, such that
Vague/Singular/General turned out to be only a special case.