List, John:

Because many readers may find my posts difficult to comprehend, I am posting a
copy of an abstract that provides some philosophical insights into my beliefs.
The abstract is from 2009.  The logical developments have continued during the
intervening years, now nearly a decade.

Cheers

Jerry

Abstract, CASYS 2009, Professor Daniel Dubois, Liege, Belgium, August 3-9, 2009.

Perplexity I. Logical Structures of Irregular Mathematics

Jerry LR Chandler, Research Professor, George Mason University, Fairfax,
Virginia, USA. 22102.

Key Words: Irregular mathematics, perplex number systems, chemical valence,
catalysis, biomathematics, C. S. Peirce, L.J. Brouwer, G. Leibniz,

The irregularity of natural systems creates a challenge to applied mathematics.
In recent decades new mathematical theories of catastrophes, chaos, fractals
and fuzzy sets developed improved approaches to some irregularities.
Philosophically, these theories invoke the Aristotelian concepts of efficient
and formal causality and the uniformity of the line. It was recently
demonstrated that the Aristotelian concepts of material, formal and (local)
final causality create a basis for a natural number system, the perplex number
system (Dis. Appl. Math. 157 (2009) 2296-2309). Electrical particles enumerate
the sources of material causality. The quality of electrical fields (Coulomb’s
law, as attraction or repulsion) is used to enumerate relations. The
enumeration of particles and relations is sufficient to represent the
“categorical sketches” of chemical structures and the physical organization of
the electrical particles as labeled bipartite graphs.

This paper describes the logical and philosophical background supporting this
scientific number system. Although the logic of the perplex number system
originates in the material sciences, the roots of the mathematics of
irregularity can be traced to the early Greek notions of number and to the
writings of G. Leibniz, C. S. Peirce and L. Brouwer. Leibniz offers notions of
substance and attributes; C. S. Peirce offers notions of relation and
diagrammatic logic; and L. E. J. Brouwer offers the role of two-ity as a
syndeton between mathematical semantics and philosophy.

… the concept of an individual substance involves all its changes and all its
relations, even those which are commonly called extrinsic. (G. Leibniz, Letter
to Arnauld, 14 July 1686.)

An attribute is the predicate in a universal affirmative proposition (of which
the subject is the name of the thing. (G. Leibniz, in Couturat, OFI, p.241)

“Firstness is the mode of being of that which is such as it is, positively and
without reference to anything else.

Secondness is the mode of being of that which is such as it is, with respect to
a second but regardless of any third.

Thirdness is the mode of being of that which is such as it is, in bringing a
second and third in relation to each other.” (C. S. Peirce, Letter to Lady
Welby, 1904 Oct 12, CP 8.328)

Completely separating mathematics from mathematical language and hence from the
phenomena of language described by theoretical logic, recognizing that
intuitionistic mathematics is an essentially languageless activity of the mind
having its origin in the perception of a motion of time. This perception of a
move of time may be described as the falling apart of a life moment into two
distinct things, one of which gives way to the other, but is retained by
memory. If the twoity thus born is divested of all quality, it passes into the
empty form of the common substratum of all twoities. And it is this common
substratum, this empty form, which is the basic intuition of mathematics.
(Brouwer, 1981, 4-5)

As they are unencumbered by the current hegemony of membership, containment,
functions, continuity, and infinity, these three notions contribute to the
logical grounding of the mathematics of local irregularity.

The perplex mathematics of irregularity requires units, integers, numerals,
parity, triadic identities, multisets and labeled bipartite graphs. Parity
serves as an invariant for logical operations such that quantity is preserved
as a weak symmetry between units and integers. A new inductive inference termed
synduction creates the graphic syndetons. Geometry and arithmetic operations
are secondary attributes of spatial graphs. A mutation of relations between
integers and units requires the introduction of the concept of time.

The perplex number system generates exact mathematical descriptions of material
situations that were previously intractable. The irregularity of chemical
valence, chemical isomers and chemical catalysis are readily expressed within
the perplex number system. A notation for chemical systems and chemical
catalysis follow naturally from the principles of material causality. An
unbounded number of homologous irregular systems are easily shown.

The polysemic usage of the critical term “identity” conflates the historical
discussion of material and efficient causes and artificially induces many
pseudo-conundrums. In fact, the perplex number system conjoins logically with
the real number system, both statically and dynamically. The same material
entity generates an abstract meso-group and the x-ray diffraction pattern of a
real crystal structure. The law of mass action connects the material, temporal
and thermodynamic relations between perplex multi-sets and sets. Spatial motion
of electrical particles is described by chemical QM.

Applications of irregular mathematics and synductive logic to the emergence of
life, to reproduction of an individual organism, to genomic medicine and to the
origins of consciousness are in progress.

Jerry LR Chandler

McLean, VA

Revised June 20, 2009