John S., Edwina, List:

The constituents of Peirce's third Universe--including not only Laws, but
also Signs, Habits, and continua (EP 2:435&479; 1908)--certainly do not *exist
*outside the second Universe of actuality; *nothing *does, since existence
and actuality are coextensive.  However, they are *Real* "outside the
universe of actuality" in the sense that they *govern* Existents or
*mediate* between them.  They are "would-bes," so it is misleading to say
that "they are embedded within actuality," because "no agglomeration of
actual happenings can ever completely fill up the meaning of a 'would-be'"
(CP 5.467; 1907).