Francesco, List:

Welcome to the List, Francesco!  Your posts are refreshingly original.

Is it possible that the following assertion is a consequence of modern notions
of set theory and symbolic logic  rather than the state of logical thought in
the latter part of the 19 th Century?

> the proper treatment of multiply quantified sentences is only possible once a
> proper notation for variables and quantifiers is adopted. And this notation
> requires that individuals may be denoted by variables that range over a
> domain, and a variable is an index. Peirce's reference to "the logic of
> triadic and higher relations failed" is a clear reference to his General
> Algebra of Logic (1885), where an apparatus of quantification was
> systematically presented

I question this because of a simple notational counter-example.
A multiply quantified sentence is necessary to represent a chemical structure
with multiple atoms and the forms of relations among the different atoms.  The
molecular formula can represent multiple atoms of the same name / atomic
weight. The molecular structure can represent multiple relations among either
pairs of the same atom or multiple relations between two different atoms.
These chemical facts were known to CSP.

The “proper treatment” of these chemical facts is through diagrammatic logic
where two different symbols are used to represent two different classes of
abstract signs, one class of symbols for atoms representing names and another
class of symbols for relations representing the uniting of the atomic signs
into a singular molecular object.

Note that these chemical symbols are used differently than the concepts of
variables ranging over a domain.

Note that the names of the atoms are indexed within the atomic table of
elements. Associated with each chemical atom is a unique set of quali-signs.
Icons were associated with the names of metals since Greek times.

In summary, it is my belief that the epistemology of the matter is consistent
with a  notation for representing multiply quantified sentences and that this
representation differs from the set theoretical logic of variables related by
functions. The form of the breadth and depth of the logical quantifiers are
representations of observation - physical measurements.

Cheers

Jerry