Dear members,

In a recent debate on systems theory in another forum, I explored with
others, the specific issues informing Complex Adaptive Systems (CAS) and
autopoiesis. There seems to be two dominant, competing narratives playing
out:

1) AUTOPOIESIS AS OPERATIONALLY CLOSED:

The dynamics of autopoiesis are regarded as relational, not externally
caused. According to Wikipedia, Niklas Luhman regarded social systems as
"... operationally closed in that while they use and rely on resources from
their environment, those resources do not become part of the systems'
operation. Both thought and digestion are important preconditions for
communication, but neither appears in communication as such. Note, however,
that Maturana argued very vocally that this appropriation of autopoietic
theory was conceptually unsound, as it presupposes the autonomy of
communications from actual persons. That is, by describing social systems as
operationally closed networks of communications, Luhmann (according to
Maturana) ignores the fact that communications presuppose human
communicators."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niklas_Luhmann

Echoing Maturana's concern in my own words... in an operationally closed
culture, the cultural narrative exists as a kind of overlay, independently
of the humans engaging it.

2) AUTOPOIESIS AS SEMIOSIS BY AN AGENT:

This is our position. We acknowledge the role of the agent, semiosis, and
the choices that the agent makes from its Umwelt. Where the former regards
an "operationally closed" system as an overlay independent of the agents
making choices from it, our own perspective incorporates agents inextricably
as part of the system. For us, therefore, pragmatism plays a central role.
In the "operationally closed" system, by contrast, it would seem that
pragmatism plays a minimal role, if any. Lest there remain any doubt,
Peirce's "The man is the thought" clearly designates man as an agent.
Preaching here to the converted, we require no further elaboration.

DNA ENTANGLEMENT = AUTONOMOUS AGENTS

What can we do to entice the "operationally closed" CAS crowd to move over
to our side? If we can get others to appreciate the importance of including
agents within their narrative, it may compel them to better appreciate the
potential of the semiotic paradigm.

The case for focusing on the agent might be made more compelling by
incorporating DNA entanglement into our narrative. DNA entanglement
addresses two critical problems... entropy and the binding problem. In this
regard, with respect to the binding problem, we are further compelled to
focus on the observer as the locus of control. A living observer comprised
of cells bound together by entangled DNA is clearly an agent making choices
from it Umwelt. It cannot be any other way. Why does DNA entanglement
deserve to be taken seriously? My paper, Quantum Semiotics, provides an
outline:
http://journals.sfu.ca/jnonlocality/index.php/jnonlocality/article/view/64/6
3

By including DNA entanglement within our thesis, we are in a more compelling
position to conclude that it is the agent (consciousness) that is first
cause. It is the agent that makes the choices and assimilates its
experiences into its being, its unity.

WHY HAS DNA ENTANGLEMENT NOT ENTERED THE MAINSTREAM VERNACULAR?

There exists much circumstantial evidence in support of DNA entanglement,
and more and more researchers are increasingly reviewing correlations
between separated neural networks. It is my contention that there is only
one mechanism that might explain these correlations - DNA entanglement.

So what's the holdup? There can only be one thing. Woo. Professionals
terrified of having their valuable work assigned the woo label won't dare
utter the words "DNA entanglement" in polite company. It is unfortunate that
in this era of rampaging political correctness, with people being unpersoned
for holding unapproved opinions, we are policing ourselves into silence. As
I am independent of Academia, though, I have nothing to lose, and so I'm so
I'm going to say it loud and proud:

DNA entanglement. It's a thing.

Regards,
Stephen Jarosek
no woo

REFERENCES - CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE FOR DNA ENTANGLEMENT:

Apostolou, T.; Kintzios, S. Cell-to-Cell Communication: Evidence of
Near-Instantaneous Distant, Non-Chemical Communication between Neuronal
(Human SK-N-SH Neuroblastoma) Cells by Using a Novel Bioelectric Biosensor
(JCS Volume 25, Numbers 9-10, 2018, pp. 62-74(13))
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/imp/jcs/2018/00000025/f0020009/art
00002

Crew, B. (2018). This is the first detailed footage of DNA replication, and
it wasn't what we expected. Sciencealert.com:
https://www.sciencealert.com/dna-replication-first-footage-unexpected

Greentechnique. (2011, January 15). Cleve Backster - Primary Perception
(beginning at 344 seconds):
https://youtu.be/V7V6D33HGt8?t=5m44s

Pizzi, R., Fantasia, A., Gelain, F., Rosetti, D., & Vescovi, A. (2004).
Non-local correlations between separated neural networks (E. Donkor, A.
Pirick, & H. Brandt, Eds.). Quantum Information and Computation (Proceedings
of SPIE), 5436(II), 107-117.
http://spie.org/Publications/Proceedings/Paper/10.1117/12.540785