Auke, List:

According to the second long quote that I provided below from Peirce, "man"
and "homme" are one and the same Sign, consistent with his statement
elsewhere that "a sign is not a real thing" (EP 2:303; 1904).  I understand
his emphasis here to be on "thing" (Brute Actuality), rather than "real."
My question remains whether "man" and "homme" are *also *one and the same
Type, or two *different *Types of the same Sign.

Again, I now lean toward the latter.  The three-letter sequence, m-a-n, is
"a definitely significant Form" that an individual Token must embody (at
least approximately) in order to serve as an actual Instance of the Type in
written English.  The five-letter sequence, h-o-m-m-e, is "a definitely
significant Form" that an individual Token must embody (at least
approximately) in order to serve as an actual Instance of the Type in
written French.  To me, these different specifications for Instances imply
different Types.

Thanks,

Jon S.