List,

This post follows up on Gary Richmond’s post from yesterday, but I’ve altered
the subject line to eliminate some redundancy and the reference to EGs. I’m
also assuming that Peirce’s definitions of phenomenology and of the phaneron,
which are easily found and quoted, are not enough to give a firm grasp of what
these ‘things’ are.

First — Gary mentions a page on my site,
https://www.gnusystems.ca/PeircePhenom.htm, as “a nice introduction to Peirce's
Phaneroscopy.” Actually I’d forgotten that essay was still on my site; I wrote
it up several years ago just to formulate my own understanding of what Peirce’s
phenomenology was, then became dissatisfied with it and started a revision,
then abandoned the whole project, and I hadn’t looked at it for years until
today. I do think it can be useful as an introduction and could spark some
discussion of the issues involved and the many Peirce quotes in it.

There’s a very different approach to the core phenomenological issues in
Chapter 5 of my book Turning Signs, http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/nsd.htm. There
are other references to Peircean (and other) phenomenology scattered here and
there throughout Turning Signs, because in the context of trying to comprehend
the nature of experience and cognition in human and other animals, I found some
phenomenological investigation absolutely necessary. I started with
Merleau-Ponty, actually, and I don’t share Gary’s belief that Peirce’s practice
of phenomenology differs radically from that of other investigators who have
called their discipline by that name. His theory sounds quite different because
his approach to it is more mathematical and analytical than most, but what he
was trying to direct our attention to (the object of his signs in that field)
is not so different from the object of Merleau-Ponty’s signs on the subject,
for instance. I have some slight acquaintance with Husserl, Heidegger and a few
others that Gary mentioned, but not enough to compare their work with Peirce,
whom I have studied much more intensively over the past two decades or so. I
don’t consider Joe Ransdell’s article (which Gary cited) a very good guide to
what Peirce’s phenomenology was all about, and I agree with Frederik Stjernfelt
and several others that the difference between Husserl and Peirce on these
matters is much less than Ransdell says it is. All this is just to give you
some inkling of where I’m coming from on these issues.

Richard Kenneth Atkins’ book on Peirce’s Phenomenology, which I just finished
reading, has filled in many gaps in my study of the subject, but I’m relieved
to see that its treatment of the subject is quite consistent with what I’d
derived from my own study of Peirce’s writings. (I thus feel relieved from the
responsibility of revising what I’ve written on the subject in my book and blog
over the past few years.) I think Atkins gives a pretty nearly definitive
account of the subject, with the exception of his remarks on the “material”
categories, which strike me as much weaker than the rest.

Finally — 15 years or so on this list has given me the impression that some of
its major contributors have either no idea of, or no interest in, Peirce’s
phenomenology/phaneroscopy and what is useful about it. I don’t expect this
situation to change, because phenomenology is a very peculiar science in some
ways and a very difficult one in others. But I trust that those who aren’t
interested will allow the rest of us to discuss some of Peirce’s specific
statements on the subject without complaining that it’s useless because they
have no collateral experience of what we’re talking about — or because they
don’t recognize that experience as such. We all have different ways of
connecting our private experience with public language, and we never know in
advance whether the attempt to bridge these gaps will be worth the effort. So
it goes.

My next post in this thread, if there is one, will be shorter and more
specific. Meanwhile any questions arising are welcome.

Gary f.