}Gary R - I can't, of course, speak for Stephen, but I'm not sure if
his comment pertained to 'scientific intelligence' but instead,
refers to the difference between, let's say, a 'scientific
intelligence' and 'intelligence' just on its own. The former operates
within pragmaticism while the latter includes - well, just about all
rhetoric and even 'idle chatter'.

        Edwina
 On Sat 09/03/19  1:37 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Stephen, list,
 You wrote: There is an inherent flaw or contradiction in Peirce's
distinction between the words scientific and intelligence. To be
scientific requires a mentality which is quite clear to those who
possess it but not to those who do not.
  In the context of discussing "Logic, in its general sense [but]
another name for semeiotic,"  Peirce remarks that 'a "scientific"
intelligence' is "an intelligence capable of learning by experience"
(CP 2.227, 1897). So, it would appear that possessing a scientific
intelligence is, for Peirce, not an extraordinary thing.
 Admittedly, he's discussing "abstractive observation" and "positive
science" here, but, rereading his definition out of context for a
change (it's a rather frequently quoted fragment, so I've read it any
number times as it succinctly outlines logic as semeiotic, including,
for example, its division into "pure grammar," "logic proper,"
[critical logic], and "pure rhetoric"), since the only intelligence
Peirce singles out as  not potentially capable of "learning by
experience" (which includes the observation of signs) is God's,
since, he remarks, God "should possess an intuitive intelligence
superseding reason," it occurred to me that Peirce's definition
doesn't preclude at least some animals--perhaps even some
plants--from possessing a "scientific" intelligence. That sounds
strange at first, but note that Peirce puts "scientific" in scare
quotes in his definition. In that sense, all of biological nature is
capable of learning, evolving.
 Best,
 Gary R
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York