Jerry C, to answer your question,

In that post, was not trying to say anything about the chemical sciences as
they exist today; and Peirce himself was not trying to inform his readers about
chemical science when he adopted the “valency” analogy to construct a
hypothesis about the elements of the phaneron. This thread is about
phaneroscopy, and about Peirce’s development of that science. When I use the
term “chemistry” in this thread, I am referring to the universe of discourse
from which Peirce drew the concept of valency — which was, of course, the
chemical science of his time. In the context you are quoting from, I was trying
to distinguish among three applications of the term “medad.” I don’t know
whether anyone other than Peirce ever used that term to denote an element (such
as argon) which does not react or combine with others; I’m only concerned with
Peirce’s own usage of it in phaneroscopic analysis.

By the way, I didn’t respond to your earlier question as to what Peirce had in
mind when he referred to the “dark Mamoth cave of inorganic chemistry” because
I have no better idea of what he’s talking about than you do. Actually, I am
leaning toward the possibility that Peirce, in drafting the “Bedrock” essay,
simply and accidentally switched the terms “organic” and “inorganic” in that
passage. One hesitates to ascribe such a mistake to Peirce, but there are
several such mistakes in that draft which indicate to me that Peirce abandoned
the draft and never went back to revise it. The misspelling of the name of the
Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is another clue that points in this direction. I have
no better suggestion to account for Peirce’s rather strange remarks about
inorganic chemistry in the “Bedrock” draft — actually I was hoping someone else
would!

Gary f.