Helmut, list

        I actually include the DO within the semiosic function, because the
IO couldn't exist without that DO.

        I can send you some of my publications.

        Edwina
 On Tue 16/04/19  4:05 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
  Edwina, list,   That looks very reasonable to me. I think I have to
get concerned about mathematic symbolization. How do I write "A is the
function of B for C", and so on. In "R(O)=I", is O and I only the
immediate O and I? Can I look somehow on some of your papers?   Best,
Helmut    16. April 2019 um 20:13 Uhr
  "Edwina Taborsky"
 wrote:
 Helmut, list - I agree with you that the Sign [the full triad of
O-R-I] is a function. I've been giving conference papers and
publishing on just that for many years.

        But I don't think that the Sign-as-Function operates by addition,
which would reduce the actions to arithmetic, but by multiplication.
That is, the function formula is: f{x}=y. Where 'f' is the R or
mediating Representamen; 'x' is the input data from the Object; and
'y' is the interpreted information of the Interpretant.

        This is not a mechanical or addition process but a transformative
process where the input data of the Object is transformed by the
mediative actions of the Representamen to produce the
Interpretant[s].

        Edwina
 On Tue 16/04/19 1:28 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
    Supplement: But I prefer, that the term "functional composition"
means, that a function of something is composed of the functions of
other things for the something, so it would be ok to say "a sign
functionally consists of S,O,I". It means, that f(S) = f(S) + f(O) +
f(I).  I think it is always so, that a general function of a specific
function is the specific function, like: f(f1(A)) = f1(A). f(S) is the
general function, so it is S (because S is a function too). The other
three functions are specific (for S). So, very correctly, it would
be: f(S) = S = fS(S) + fS(O) + fS(I).    List,   To solve this
problem with "whole" or "composed of", I propose three kinds of
composition: C. from traits (1ns), spatiotemporal c. (2ns), and
functional composition (3ns). The kind of composition we are talking
about is functional c.:   The function of something is composed of
the functions of... . I think that a sign is a function itself, as
well as its object (though this is not completely clear), and its
interpretant, so instead of saying "The function of a sign is
composed of...), maybe we can say:   "A sign is functionally composed
of the functions of itself, its object and its interpretant", or even:
"A sign is functionally composed of itself, its object, and its
interpretant".   But maybe, regarding the spatiotemporally external
characters, like DO, DI, FI, we must say:   "A sign is functionally
composed of itself, and the functions of its object and its
interpretant".   To avoid more problems, I think, that in functional
composition, a thing may be composed of itself plus other things
(other than in spatiotemporal composition). I call this re-entry, and
it is like a computer program code saying "Let A = A + B + C".   This
is not a contradiction to "relation": While "relation" is something
objectively viewed, "function" is is the relation as it is viewed
from the function for which the relation is a function, in this case
the sign.   Best, Helmut      16. April 2019 um 13:32 Uhr
 g...@gnusystems.ca Jeff,

        Even if we take your view that a sign (e.g. an argument) is a whole
composed of three parts, and that the parts are the correlates of a
genuine triadic relation, you can’t say that the whole is that
triadic relation — which, I take it, is what you were trying to
show — unless you are giving an entirely new meaning to the word
“relation.” You can say that there is a relation internal to the
sign, but it makes no sense to say that that relation IS that sign.
The   relation is abstracted from the internal structure of the sign,
not identified with it.

        Moreover, once you have analyzed an instance of semiosis into the
three correlates (sign, object and interpretant), the correlates are
not continuous with one another, because they are not of the same
kind. The analysis itself has the same effect as marking a point on a
continuous line: it interrupts the continuity (CP 6.168). Semiosis is
a continuous   process but the object-sign-interpretant relation is
not continuous.

        That’s how I see it, anyway.

        Gary f.