Gary F., List:

GF:  Jon, you’ve clarified your theological position somewhat (though I
don’t think you’ve really owned up to the paradoxicality of it as much as
Peirce does with his);

Would you mind clarifying the specific "paradoxicality" that you have in
mind?  Among the major Christian theological traditions, we Lutherans have
a reputation for being perhaps the most comfortable with paradoxes, rather
than insisting on always trying to resolve them.

GF:  But this does nothing to explain how the Universe as Sign manages to
get around the semiotic principle that a Sign cannot furnish acquaintance
with or recognition of its Object, but can only *represent *something with
which we are *already* acquainted and convey *further *information about it
... Knowledge of an Object, no matter how incomplete and analogical, is
itself a sign requiring acquaintance with the Object *prior to* any
semiotic mediation.

And yet we (and many others) have managed to become acquainted with Charles
Sanders Peirce, despite being born decades after he died.  We have no
problem referring to him today as the Object of Signs, and having both
transcribed quite a few of his handwritten manuscripts, I suspect that you
and I can legitimately say that we have gotten to know him quite well by
now.  How is that possible?  Why would God be any different?