}JAS, list

        You are misunderstanding what I mean by reducing the Sign to its
parts. You are ignoring that the sign/representamen and the DO and IO
AND the II and DI are all integrated components of a semiosic process.
By focusing only on the 'components' or parts almost as separate
'bits'  - you have reduced the process to a mechanical action and are
ignoring the transformative interactional dynamics of the full
semiosic process - which includes ALL these 'bits' - not as parts but
as transformative agents.

        I disagree that the term 'necessitant' refers only to Thirdness. I
used it to refer to a necessary component of the semiosic process,
the Representamen,  - and the Representamen is most often in a mode
of Thirdness, by the way [see the 10 classes].

        I also disagree that the DO and DI are 'external to the Sign' - for
this ignores that they wouldn't even function as that DO and DI
without the interactions with the basic triad.

        I disagree with your outline of the triad - because I don't see how
a complex interaction can be singular. That is, the semiosis process
is complex. The Representamen can be in a mode of 3ns, and its
relation  to the DO can be in a mode of 2ns, and its relation to the
II and DI can be in a mode of 1ns [this is a rhematic indexical
legisign].  If we do not acknowledge the complexity of the three
relations here; that of the R in itself; that of the R-O and that of
the R-I - then, we miss the basic dynamic nature of semiosis.

        Edwina
 On Mon 20/05/19 11:26 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 1.  I am not the one "reducing the Sign to its parts," since I
consistently maintain that the Object and Interpretant are external
to the Sign, not parts of the Sign.
 2.  "Necessitant" is a technical term in Peirce's semeiotic, and
hence we are ethically bound to use it only as he did, as the name
for a constituent of the third Universe.
 3.  Again, the Dynamic Object and Dynamic Interpretant (as well as
the Final Interpretant) are external to the Sign.  Each is one
correlate of a triadic relation with the Sign, but the Sign is not
itself that relation.
 4.  Peirce never--not once--analyzed the Sign as "an irreducible
triadic set of relations" (plural).  On the contrary, he always
analyzed it as one correlate of an irreducible triadic relation
(singular) in which the other two correlates are its Object and its
Interpretant.  This is not merely a  terminological distinction, but
a conceptual one.
 Regards,
 Jon S.