Helmut, List:

Remember, in Peirce's late writings, existence is *reaction* (2ns).
Accordingly, my current understanding is that every *Dynamic *Interpretant
exists as an *actual *effect of an *Instance *of a Sign; but it may or may
not conform to the *Final *Interpretant of the Sign *itself*, which is the
effect that an Instance of it *would *have under ideal circumstances.  This
Final Interpretant is *Real*, because it is as it is regardless of what any
individual mind or finite group of minds thinks about it; and if the Sign
would be affirmed in the Ultimate Opinion resulting from infinite inquiry
by an infinite community--i.e., if its Dynamic Object is Reality--then its
Final Interpretant is *Truth*.

As for your example, I suppose that any *actual *outcome (shooting a hare,
shooting a tree stump, etc.) loosely corresponds to a *Dynamic *Interpretant,
while the *ideal *outcome (shooting a hare) loosely corresponds to the *Final
*Interpretant.  The hunter will *tend *to shoot hares, especially with more
practice; but he might also shoot a few tree stumps along the way, and
perhaps some other things.  However, again, I am using *telos *in the sense
of "final cause"--which is not limited to the notion of an aim, intention,
or purpose.

CSP:  It is, as I was saying, a widespread error to think that a "final
cause" is necessarily a purpose. A purpose is merely that form of final
cause which is most familiar to our experience. The signification of the
phrase "final cause" must be determined by its use in the statement of
Aristotle that all causation divides into two grand branches, the
efficient, or forceful; and the ideal, or final. If we are to conserve the
truth of that statement, we must understand by final causation that mode of
bringing facts about according to which a general description of result is
made to come about, quite irrespective of any compulsion for it to come
about in this or that particular way; although the means may be adapted to
the end. The general result may be brought about at one time in one way,
and at another time in another way. Final causation does not determine in
what particular way it is to be brought about, but only that the result
shall have a certain general character. (CP 1.211; )

Likewise, I see the Final Interpretant as a *general *tendency of the Sign
that brings about the *individual *Dynamic Interpretants of its Instances,
but not in a prescriptive or deterministic way.  Different Types have
different Immediate Interpretants, different Tokens have different Tones,
and different Collateral Experience produces different Interpretative
Habits.  Consequently, different Instances of the same Sign can (and often
do) have different *Dynamic *Interpretants, even though they all have the
same *Final *Interpretant.