Jeff, Jon, List,

It’s true that my suggestion of a radical split between the universes of
discourse of physics and metaphysics oversimplifies the issues, as it tends to
ignore not only the variety of metaphysical assumptions among physicists but
also the variety and tentativity of Peirce’s own cosmological hypotheses. I’m
looking forward to further inquiry along the lines Jeff has proposed.

Right now the only suggestion I can contribute is that a concept of time as a
true topological continuum would be independent of scale, while any concept of
historical time does have a fixed scale, which assigns the origin of the earth
to around 5 billion years ago, the Big Bang to about 13.8 billion years ago,
etc. You can’t have a scale in a temporal continuum without marking events in
it and comparing the length of time between events, and those marks appear as
discontinuities. To visualize an explanation of why we can’t locate the origin
of “the universe” in continuous time, I sometimes use the analogy of “zooming
in” on a representation of the Mandelbrot set: you can zoom in on any region
forever (or you could if you had infinite computing power) without reaching an
(“innermost”) end. (I wonder how the possibility of fractal dimensions would
affect Jeff’s idea about the reduction of dimensions over time.)

I haven’t read the Quanta article yet and have a busy weekend ahead so this
very rough sketch is all I can offer for awhile.

Gary f.