Auke, List:

AvB:  At what place does Peirce relegate religion to methphisics in his
writings on the architectonic of the sciences?

I am not suggesting that religion is part of metaphysics in Peirce's
classification of the sciences.  On the contrary, he places it under "the
Ethnology of Social Developments" along with "customs, laws, ... and
traditions," as well as under "History of Social Developments" along with
"law, slavery, manners, etc."  These are respectively the first branch of
"Ethnology," which is the third branch of "Classificatory psychics," and
the third branch of "History," which is the third branch of "Descriptive
psychics" (CP 1.200-201, 1902; cf. CP 1.264, 1902).  Of course, "The
Psychical Sciences" form the second branch of "Idioscopy" or the special
sciences (CP 1.187&189, 1902).

My point is rather that Peirce identifies the second branch of
"Metaphysics" as "Psychical, or Religious, Metaphysics, concerned chiefly
with the questions of 1. God, 2. Freedom, and 3. Immortality" (CP 1.192,
1902).  Elsewhere he characterizes "the question of a future life and
especially that of One Incomprehensible but Personal God, not immanent in
but creating the universe" to be among "those metaphysical questions that
have such [human] interest" (CP 5.496, EP 2:420-421, 1907).  In other
words, ascertaining the reality and attributes of God falls firmly within
the domain of metaphysics, even though it obviously has bearing on religion.

Regards,

Jon S.