Edwina, Gary R., John, List:

I agree with Edwina that she has *established *her own speculative grammar,
which she believes to be recognizably Peircean, and has sought to apply it
in the special sciences, most notably biology.  However, I understand Gary
R.'s point to be that she persistently rejects any suggestion of a
need for *reexamination
*of the conclusions that she reached long ago.  In other words, she comes
across as the one with the "rigid box," unwilling to give serious
consideration to any alternatives.  By the way, speculative grammar is the
study of *all *signs, not just symbols; and it concerns not only their
relations with their *interpretants*, but also their relations with their
*objects*.

I agree with Edwina that publication of an article does not imply
endorsement of its conclusions, only the reasonableness of its methods and
arguments.  However, I understand Gary R.'s point to be exactly
that--John's *methodological *criticisms directed at me are misplaced,
because my approach is well within the mainstream of Peirce scholarship and
philosophical inquiry in general.  The real issue is that John (apparently)
disagrees with many of my *conclusions*, but as I have said multiple times
before, the proper course of action is then to *make a better
argument* for *different
*conclusions.  Again, I invite *persuasion*, rather than bare assertions
that I am guilty of "serious misinterpretations."

Edwina and John both seem to think that focusing (as I admittedly do) on
Peirce's words, including his terminology, detracts from what they deem to
be a more pressing and more important task--applying his ideas to today's
problems.  By contrast, I continue to maintain that getting his ideas
right *requires
*paying careful attention to his words and terminology, and getting his
ideas wrong obviously *precludes *applying them at all.  Instead, it
results in applying *one's own* ideas to today's problems, while creating
the mistaken impression that they are *Peirce's *ideas--precisely the
transgression of which I have been repeatedly (and falsely) accused.