Edwina and Mary L,

I agree with the points that both of you
have made.
ET> It is extremely difficult to come to a final
conclusion about which meaning is 'right'.
For an essay or book
about Peirce, it's important to discuss his original terminology and not
claim that any of the 21st c. terms are identical to Peirce's.  But
mathematics is an exception.  Any terms that are defined with formally
equivalent definitions are indeed exactly equivalent.  That is also true
of the first-order subset of formal (mathematical) logic.  But there are
some areas of mathematics and logic, where Peirce was exploring new
territory, and there is room for doubt.
ET>     But - it's not
merely when we are writing for a 21st audience that we have to consider
what is 'prevailing with most of the co-workers'... in disciplines such as
physics, biology, artificial intelligence, economics and societal
research.
Yes.  In those areas, we should not claim that any of the
new terms are identical to any of the terms that Peirce used.

One glaring exception is Peirce’s change from the word “pragmatism” to
the word “pragmaticism.” It came after FCS Schiller, not the musician,
warped the meaning in his collection of essays on pragmatism that he
titled “humanism.” In that collection he relegated Peirce to a footnote
but attacked him ad hominin.
I agree.  But Peirce considered the
definition by William James to "broaden" his original
definition.  See the definition of 'pragmatism' by CSP and WJ in Baldwin's
dictionary: https://www.gnusystems.ca/BaldwinPeirce.htm#Pragmatism

In effect, Peirce admitted the definition by James to be accepted
as the broader definition, and his own term 'pragmaticism' to be a
specialization of it.