Edwina, List,

Edwina, please *do* proceed with what *you* consider to be the kind of
inquiry that you consider to be most proper, or most important (or however
you conceive of it) on this list and off, your particular 'practical
application' of theory emphasis certainly being valuable and important.

Yet Peirce himself was interested in much more than 'practical
applications' of his theories, more even than pragmatism which, after all,
he sometimes characterized as but 'critical commonsense-ism'. Indeed he was
active in developing *both* the theory and practice of many sciences,
theoretical, special, and applied.

Let's look just at the *Sciences of Discovery* as he called them (and which
he also called, tellingly, *Theoretical Science*, and even *Pure
Theoretical Sciences)*, all of which he did significant work in.

So, following the order of his *Classification of Sciences* (a part of *Science
of Review*, one of his three *Grand Sciences*, along with *Science of
Discovery* and *Practical Science*) Peirce worked in these: *Pure
Mathematics*; in *Cenoscopic Science* (*scientific philosophy*), he made
contributions in *Phenomenology*, Scientific *Esthetics* and *Ethics*, and
in all three branches of *Logic as Semeiotic*.

Note that the first of these three branches is *Theoretical* (or *Semeiotic*)
*Grammar*, the second, *Critical Logic *("Logic as logic"-CSP), the third
*Theoretical* (or, *Semeiotic*) *Rhetoric*, where many Peirce scholars,
including me, place *Pragmaticism*. And, of course, Peirce also did
valuable work in *Scientific Metaphysics* to complete the *Theoretical
Sciences*.

And there can be no doubt that he also did extraordinary work in several of
the *Special Sciences*, the next branch in his Classification, and in more
than a few of the *Practical *(what we call, *Applied*) *Sciences*. Indeed,
he earned much of his living in those sciences.

But do note: he was still working on his semeiotic theory at the time of
his death.

So, to suggest that the only Peirce area of inquiry which scholars ought
pursue is that of *Pragmaticism*, or, rather, what I think you're
suggesting, such *Special Sciences* (as *Biosemiotics)*, is simply to
narrow the scope to, in my view, an absurd degree. Logicians, in
particular, should see this as absurd. This list moderator will always
argue such a narrowing of possible Peircean inquiry.

I consider your argument in the email I'm responding to (and in many
similar in the last year or so) to be disingenuous in suggesting that you
have *not* argued against conducting theoretical research in a way meant to
discourage it. But do you really want me to go back over list posts to show
your outright hostility to theorizing? I can do that, but would rather not.
So, in a word, you can certainly have your research preferences, but please
do not try to impose them on other researchers.

I implore you and every list member to simply get on with her or his work
and let others with different interests get on with theirs. That is all.

Best,

Gary Richmond (writing as list moderator)

"Time is not a renewable resource." gnox

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*