Robert, List:

I apologize for the apparent lack of clarity in my posts.  In this one, I
will try to limit myself to addressing your two specific requests as
directly as I can.

I have no objection whatsoever to the hexad sequence Od → Oi → S → Id →
Ie → Iex where Od = dynamoid object, Oi = immediate object, S = sign, Id =
destinate interpretant, Ie = effective interpretant, Iex = explicit
interpretant, and → = determines.  After all, this is exactly what Peirce
states at EP 2:481 (1908).

Right before this, he defines "determines" in what I call the *logical*
sense--"a Possible can determine nothing but a Possible" and "a Necessitant
can be determined by nothing but a Necessitant."  In other words,
the universe to which any one correlate belongs *constrains *the
universe(s) to which the next correlate in the sequence can belong.  If the
dynamical object is a possible (1ns), then all the subsequent correlates
are likewise possibles (1ns).  If the explicit interpretant is a
necessitant (3ns), then all the previous correlates are likewise
necessitants (3ns).  If the sign itself is an existent (2ns), then the
destinate interpretant is either a possible (1ns) or an existent (2ns).
And so on, yielding 28 classes of signs rather than 729.

As far as I know, we agree that the dynamoid object is what Peirce
elsewhere calls the dynamical object, and that the effective interpretant
is what he elsewhere calls the dynamical interpretant.  Our disagreement
thus seems to be limited to the other two interpretants.  For reasons that
I have explained, I believe that the destinate interpretant is what Peirce
elsewhere calls the final interpretant, and that the explicit interpretant
is what he elsewhere calls the immediate interpretant.  Just as the genuine
(dynamical) object logically determines the degenerate (immediate) object,
the genuine (final) interpretant logically determines the degenerate
(dynamical) interpretant, which logically determines the doubly degenerate
(immediate) interpretant.  I define these three interpretants as follows.

   - The immediate (explicit) interpretant is whatever a sign type *possibly
   could* signify to someone who possesses the requisite acquaintance with
   the system of signs to which it belongs.
   - The dynamical (effective) interpretant is whatever an individual sign
   token *actually does* signify to someone on an individual occasion.
   - The final (destinate) interpretant is whatever the sign itself
*necessarily
   would* signify to someone under ideal circumstances, including the
   ultimate opinion after infinite inquiry by an infinite community.

Is that helpful?