BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 Jon - thanks for reminding us that 'building castles in the
stratosphere' is not an outline of the full reality of our universe.
That is - as I keep saying,  theories without a ground in empirical
reality are 'castles in the clouds' because, as pure Thirdness,  they
are bereft of actualities, ie. Secondness and thus, are alienated from
reality.

        Logic alone cannot provide the Truth of our Universe. After all, a
syllogism in its pure logical form, eg, Barbara, could be formally
valid but actually false because its premises lack empirical
validity.

        All people who drive to work own a car..

        You drive to work..

        Therefore, You own a car.

        I've been falsely accused [via the rewriting of my words] of being
against theory. I'm not, for empirical data without theoretical
analysis is as empty and invalid as theory without data. My point is
- that both areas must be explored.As you say - we must 'ground' the
abstract theories.

        Edwina
 On Sat 30/05/20  9:54 AM , Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net sent:
 Cf: Triadic Relations • Discussion 2
 At:
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/05/30/triadic-relations-%e2%80%a2-discussion-2/
[1]
 To everything there is a season,
 A time for every purpose under heaven:
 A time for building castles in the stratosphere,
 A time to mind the anti-gravs that keep us here.
 Re: Systems Science (
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/syssciwg/e5DZcywfyow/overview [2] )

 ::: Rob Young (
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/syssciwg/e5DZcywfyow/4LGZXgMeAwAJ [3]
)
 Cf: Conceptual Barriers to Creating Integrative Universities
 At:
https://www.academia.edu/1266492/Conceptual_Barriers_to_Creating_Integrative_Universities
[4]
  RY:
 The aspiration to a form of knowledge ‘wisdom’ resonated with
me, and, not withstanding the ‘university’ context
 (connotative?) the article was couched in, every time I read the
word ‘university’, I mentally substituted it with
 ‘systems movement’ and the resonance was there.
 Dear Rob,
 Thanks for your comments and questions.  They took me back to the
decade before the turn of the millennium when there
 was a general trend of thought to embrace chaos and complexity,
seeking the order and simplicity on the other side.
 (Oliver Wendell Holmes, but it appears in doubt whether Sr. or Jr.)
 One thing I've learned in the mean time is just how poorly grounded
and maintained are many of the abstract concepts and
 theories we need for grappling with the complexities of
communication, computation, experimental information, and
 scientific inquiry.  So I've been doing what I can to reinforce the
concrete bases and stabilize the working platforms
 of what otherwise tend to become empty à priori haunts.
 I'll have to be getting back to that.  For now I'll just link to a
few readings your remarks brought to mind.  The
 “Conceptual Barriers” paper from 2001 is the journal upgrade of
a conference presentation from 1999, “Organizations of
 Learning or Learning Organizations : The Challenge of Creating
Integrative Universities for the Next Century (

https://arisbe.sitehost.iu.edu//menu/library/aboutcsp/awbrey/integrat.htm
[5] )”.
 Your reflex of jumping from universities to systems in general is
very much on the mark.  Our work was motivated in
 large part by the movement toward Learning Organizations, that is,
organizations able to apply organizational research
 to their own organizational development.  To put a fine point on it,
all we were saying was, “Shouldn't a University as
 an Organization of Learning also be a Learning Organization?”
 Well, I had a lot more to relate at this point, but our dishwasher
just went on the fritz, so I'll leave it for now with
 a few links to Susan's earlier work along these lines and try to get
back to it later …
 • Scott, David K., and Awbrey, Susan M. (1993),
 “Transforming Scholarship”, Change : The Magazine of Higher
Learning, 25(4), 38–43.
 Online (1) (
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254338300_Transforming_Scholarship
[6] )
 (2) ( http://www.jstor.org/stable/40165071 [7] ) .
 • Papers by Susan Awbrey and David Scott • University of
Massachusetts, Amherst
 ( http://www.umass.edu/pastchancellors/scott/papers/papers.html [8]
) .
 Reference
 =========
 • Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (2001), “Conceptual Barriers to
Creating Integrative Universities”, Organization : The
 Interdisciplinary Journal of Organization, Theory, and Society 8(2),
Sage Publications, London, UK, pp. 269–284.
 Abstract ( http://org.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/8/2/269 [9]
). Online (

https://www.academia.edu/1266492/Conceptual_Barriers_to_Creating_Integrative_Universities
[10] ).