BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }I
don't think that Robert's contribution can be reduced to just the
podium; I appreciated some other issues.

        1] I think he was reminding us that our knowledge base [Thirdness]
is developed, learned, adaptive [and thus not predestinate or
destinate]. It exists within the individual entity. He tried to show
this in two examples, the nicotine and the example of JAS's knowledge
base. Both were ignored.

        2] He tried to warn us about the dangers of slipping into a Hegelian
mindset of either nominalism or conceptualism and ignoring the fact
that real objects exist, [Secondness] in themselves, outside of our
particular semiosis . Equally ignored.

        3] His 'map' of semiosic processes - which showed both valid and
invalid conclusions - is excellent - and further clarifies what
happens when the direct validation of Secondness is ignored and one
moves into conceptualism.

        4] He warned us that relying for evidentiary proof on multiple
quotations - without examples  - is not in itself an argument.

        I very much appreciate both his erudite knowledge of Peirce and his
quiet wit.

        Edwina
 On Sat 06/06/20 10:33 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Jon, Robert, List,
 I have followed this discussion as closely as I've been able to as
it is complex and difficult, as much of, especially, Peirce's late
semeiotic thinking seems to be. While I can't say that I comprehended
every nuance in your exchange, what I have been able to grasp has been
very helpful in fine tuning my understanding of at least some of the
matters discussed.
 I must immediately add that I do not see Jon as distorting Peirce's
thinking in any way, and in particular in consideration of the
type-token distinction and the commens. In my opinion, Jon's use of
quotations has been apt and judicious in supporting his
interpretations.
 As mentioned, these (and other) matters you've taken up have helped
me clarify certain difficult points in semeiotic grammar, especially
when I've had the time to study and reflect on the posts in your
exchange in some detail.
 And, as I noted early on, I also find Robert's "podium diagram is an
innovative and useful visualization of the relations among Peirce's
categories, both genuine and degenerate." It is an intellectual gift
of considerable value for Peircean scholarship.
  Finally, it does indeed seem like the discussion has taken its
course (I've already seen some repetition), while there remain
apparently irreconcilable differences in your individual thinking on
these matters.
 Finally, I applaud your generally gentlemanly approach to the
discussion.
 Best,
 Gary
 "TIME IS NOT A RENEWABLE RESOURCE." GNOX
 Gary Richmond
 Philosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication StudiesLaGuardia
College of the City University of New York
                         [1]
                Virus-free. www.avg.com