Yes - I like that outline by Peirce as well. The first stage if we
can call it that, after 'nothing', is chaos [Firstness] and then, the
second stage is Thirdness where Mind begins to take charge and develop
habits of organization - which permit the discrete 'bits' of
Secondness to actually exist for more than a nanosecond, and, to
reproduce as types [whether as chemical molecules or as cells].

        Firstness continues within Thirdness; and therefore, there cannot be
a final state of pure habits.

        Edwina
 On Fri 26/06/20  2:59 PM , Auke van Breemen peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
sent:
        Edwina,

        With regard to the estimate of final stage I always am of the
opinion that we can only reasonably  discuss it afterwards as to its
true nature.

        I have no religious inclinations, but can have sympathy with certain
religious expressions.  I do like Spinoza's naturalization of god.
What I did value in Peirce's estimate is this fragment:

        We exist in time, which is thesecond stageof cosmological evolution,
that of thirdness, characterized by both regularity (laws) and
diversity (spontaneity and "chance"). As the universe evolves, laws
and habits develop and become more and more regular. What was
originally spontaneity becomes law. But new spontaneities continue to
arise, increasing the variety of the world (Peirce, 1931-1935, 6.101).

        It is an improvement on Spinoza, a process approach.
        best,

        Auke