Jeff,
In the note I just sent, I was talking about the version
of EGs in L231.  For that version of logic, there can be no difference in
semantics between a scroll and a nest of two ovals.
JBD> In the
case of inductive and abductive inferences, the conditionals may
take a variety of forms:  epistemic, alethetic, deontic, etc. In each of
 these cases, the topological character of the relations may vary.
agree.  People who adopt EGs for classical FOL may need to extend the
notation for other kinds of logic.  Since Peirce dropped the scroll in
1911, anyone might choose to adopt it for some new purpose.
But
it's important to emphasize that the new purpose would not be identical
to anything Peirce had previously written -- unless (and this is a big
UNLESS) they could prove that it was indeed identical to what Peirce had
previously intended.