List,

Perhaps you have seen, that I have pondered how to express possibility with alpha-graphs. I still suspect, that my result "A(A(A))" is erratic somehow: Why not just write "A" to indicate, that A is part of the universe of discourse, and thus a possibility. But being a part of the universe of discourse means being a general possibility: It exists in it. If on the other hand there are cuts or a scroll in it, I think, that some actual possibility is indicated, is that so?

Anyway, the buddhist philosopher Nagarjuna said, that there are four forms of existence:

1. A exists

2. A does not exist

3. A both exists and does not exist

4. A neither exists nor does not exist.

An analysis with alpha-graphs has the result, that case 3. and 4. are logically the same: "A(A)". With the rule of insertion you may write it "A(A(A))". If I am right, that this means possibility, Nagarjuna´s Tetralemma just says, that something either does exist, or does not exist, or does possibly exist. Well, who would deny that? But sadly there is not much of a mystery or wisdom left, being boiled down this way.

Nagarjuna said, there is a fifth form too, in which all the four forms are combined, and also the negation of the result of that. But I am too disillusioned at the moment to look at that, maybe later. Maybe not at all, when you will have shown me my faults, which I am expecting due to a noncomplete (glimmer of hope) induction.

Best,
Helmut