List,

While we are in the spirit of announcing published articles, my own article
was also published last week, and is available for download at:

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/imp/chk/2020/00000027/00000003/art
00003

Some of us might remember my earlier posts, in this forum, on the topic.
Well, I decided to do something about it, and this article is the result.
Imitation is important because it relates to pragmatism, and how a living
entity defines the things that matter.

ABSTRACT

The concept of imitation has been around for a very long time, and many
conversations have been had about it, from Plato and Aristotle to Piaget and
Freud. Yet despite this pervasive acknowledgement of its relevance in areas
as diverse as memetics, culture, child development and language, there
exists little appreciation of its relevance as a fundamental principle in
the semiotic and life sciences. Reframing imitation in the context of
knowing how to be, within the framework of semiotic theory, can change this,
thus providing an interpretation of paradigmatic significance. However,
given the difficulty of establishing imitation as a fundamental principle
after all these centuries since Plato, I turn the question around and
approach it from a different angle. If imitation is to be incorporated into
semiotic theory and the Peircean categories as axiomatic, then what
pathologies manifest when imitation is disabled or compromised? I begin by
reviewing the reasons for regarding imitation as a fundamental principle. I
then review the evidence with respect to autism and schizophrenia as
imitation deficit. I am thus able to consolidate my position that imitation
and knowing how to be are integral to agency and pragmatism (semiotic
theory), and should be embraced within an axiomatic framework for the
semiotic and life sciences.

Stephen Jarosek