Terry, I completely agree with what you wrote (copy below).
But
I emphasized database relations because they are the most commonly used
examples of relations that are defined by extension.
However, the
meaning of the data is specified by the rules or axioms that state the
intensions.  Those specifications are what we have been calling
ontology.
John
--------------------------------------The intension / extension distinction is
also
crucial in the epistemology of science, insofar as the aim, goal,
objective, etc. of genuinely rational scientific inquiry is to identify
and express causal laws. For those laws aren’t merely
 descriptive of what actually has or is occurring in a context of
precipitating conditions (as observed), but also – in a cosmically nomic
 sense – prescriptive of what
would happen (under those conditions) if those conditions
were met – whether they actually are ever fulfilled or not.

Reference class membership criteria are
intensional, for instance, while the actual membership
inclusion under those criteria is extensional. That
intensionality
of scientific language is essential for expressing the subjunctive and
counterfactual nature of causation, especially for purposes not only of
description (which only requires the use of
extensional language), but for explanation, prediction, and
corroboration as aspects of truly rational scientific methodology in
general.

These considerations are fairly well-covered in
philosophy of science, of course, and one source I recommend is Jim
Fetzer’s 1981
Scientific Knowledge.
I’m sure Susan Haack has also done important work on this, though
I’m at a loss for the moment as to which of her works is best to cite
here. I’ll look into it and report back ….