Forwarded FYI. GR

<https://www.facebook.com/danieljbrunson?__cft__[0]=AZWsooUIWMqxu1ekP_XyHsvk1t92ll9j6n9jFTlhLhmz5NOxEANLP83gVMLVIAk6H_js7K40PfLwbEa4ffAiH8p_eliseRVvAS70W1AQESwj-iK2O2BGer1_4ZX4vxO6PDfKSbP0Lm29A9F9mcx9rGj9KePD_w_6lBDtQVxRPNHP2IyI5A2PiffSVEYdfVhhJdN75P03m6kuSNiBkT74aUQctwN1GHGGihwPcmofr9z84A&__tn__=-UC%2CP-y-R>aniel
J. Brunson
<https://www.facebook.com/danieljbrunson?__cft__[0]=AZWsooUIWMqxu1ekP_XyHsvk1t92ll9j6n9jFTlhLhmz5NOxEANLP83gVMLVIAk6H_js7K40PfLwbEa4ffAiH8p_eliseRVvAS70W1AQESwj-iK2O2BGer1_4ZX4vxO6PDfKSbP0Lm29A9F9mcx9rGj9KePD_w_6lBDtQVxRPNHP2IyI5A2PiffSVEYdfVhhJdN75P03m6kuSNiBkT74aUQctwN1GHGGihwPcmofr9z84A&__tn__=-UC%2CP-y-R>Society
for the Advancement of American Philosophy
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAAPhilosophy/?__cft__[0]=AZWsooUIWMqxu1ekP_XyHsvk1t92ll9j6n9jFTlhLhmz5NOxEANLP83gVMLVIAk6H_js7K40PfLwbEa4ffAiH8p_eliseRVvAS70W1AQESwj-iK2O2BGer1_4ZX4vxO6PDfKSbP0Lm29A9F9mcx9rGj9KePD_w_6lBDtQVxRPNHP2IyI5A2PiffSVEYdfVhhJdN75P03m6kuSNiBkT74aUQctwN1GHGGihwPcmofr9z84A&__tn__=-UC%2CP-y-R>

NB: Please encourage any graduate students to submit a 250 word abstract to
Erin McKenna (emcke...@uoregon.edu) by May 30th to join a
dissertation-in-progress session!
The 2021 Summer Institute in American Philosophy (SIAP) will be hosted,
virtually, by the philosophy department at the University of Oregon on July
7th and 8th. This year SIAP will feature a keynote address by Dr. Jacoby
Carter, Chair of the philosophy department at Howard University. He will
present his talk on July 7th at 9:00 am Pacific Time (noon Eastern Time)
and there will be a panel responding to his talk on the following day--July
8th--at the same time. Following each of these presentations there will be
dissertations in progress sessions.
Below you will find the information on the keynote address and response
panel. You will also find a call for graduate students to send in their
proposals for the dissertations in progress sessions. If you have any
questions, please contact Erin McKenna at emcke...@uoregon.edu.
Keynote Address: Dr. Jacoby Carter, Howard University
“Compelling Descriptions: Pragmatism, Race and Social Justice”
Arguably, pragmatism has produced no sophisticated philosophies of race,
nor has it produced novel theories of anti-black racism serviceable to the
social justice interests of those racialized as Black in the United States.
Instead, what we have seen are pragmatist philosophies of race that promote
white racial empire, or the co-opting of theories of race and anti-Black
racism from African American Intellectuals. Building upon the work of
Leonard Harris, I present here several depictions of racialized Black
suffering, and what I term necro-depictions, images of Black death and
phenomena that make living a racialized Black existence a kind of living
death as a means of interrogating the instrumentality of pragmatism for
addressing this form of racial injustice. I argue that what is needed in
part to address these forms of racialized injustice is an insurrectionist
ethics that is incompatible with pragmatism.
Response Panel:
Dr. Gregory Moses, Texas State University
Dr. Aaron Shepherd, UMass Lowell
Daniel Westbrook, Emory University
Attention graduate students
On each day of SIAP we will host sessions for dissertations in progress.
Over the years these sessions have proven to be very helpful to graduate
students working within the American tradition. These sessions provide an
opportunity to gain suggestions for further sources, insights into how to
strengthen positions, and challenges to consider. These sessions allow for
a broad range of scholars working within American philosophy to offer their
support to your work. We are happy to consider work at any stage: from
proposal to about to defend. To be considered for one of these sessions,
please send a 250 word abstract of your dissertation to Erin McKenna (
emcke...@uoregon.edu) by May 30th.

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going