John, List:

I have taken the liberty of adding Francesco Bellucci (who has posted to
Peirce-L in the past) and Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen to the cc: line, since
their names keep coming up. I earnestly invite them to share their thoughts
on this exchange, as well as the previous one (e.g.,
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-05/msg00117.html and
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-05/msg00121.html).

JFS: If you look through the literature of math & logic, different authors
often derive exactly the same theories by starting with different choices
of primitives and definitions.  But as long as every definition in one is
an equivalence in the other, the two theories are identical.

They are identical from a *formal *standpoint within the *same *system of
logic--classical in this case--but not from a *philosophical *standpoint,
especially once we recognize and seek to accommodate *different *systems of
logic. Practical efficiency in carrying out classical proofs is not the *only
*purpose worth pursuing within the field of logic. As Peirce attests
repeatedly, it was at most a secondary consideration for him when inventing
EGs, which he intended primarily to facilitate studying logic itself. There
are plenty of good reasons for exploring non-classical alternatives, such
as intuitionistic logic and modal logic. "*Do not block the way of inquiry*"
(CP 1.135, EP 2:48, 1898; bold in original).

JFS: Since every Alpha or Beta EG and every proof with the EGs can be
mapped directly to the new version, there is no logical or philosophical
idea expressed with the old version that cannot be expressed as well or
better with the new version.

On the contrary, the derivation of negation from the implication of falsity
is obviously a "logical or philosophical idea ... that cannot be expressed
as well or better with the new version," since the latter treats negation
as if it were primitive for the sake of convenience. Rejecting excluded
middle, resulting in intuitionistic logic rather than classical logic, is
another "logical or philosophical idea ... that cannot be expressed as well
or better with the new version," since "not-A or B," "if A then B," and
"not-(A and not-B)" are no longer equivalent. Representing modal
propositions by scribing EGs with broken cuts is a third "logical or
philosophical idea ... that cannot be expressed as well or better with the
new version."

JFS: But some people have claimed that there are certain stylistic
features, such as a preference for an "illative sign" that is omitted in
the new version.

As Bellucci, Pietarinen, and others have written at considerable length,
this is not a mere "stylistic feature," it is a fundamental logical and
philosophical idea that Peirce maintained throughout his life. Anyone is
free to *disagree *with him about this, but not to attribute a *different *view
to him. As I apparently keep having to repeat, even to the person who
posted it in the first place (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-05/msg00045.html), "nobody
can claim that anything other than an exact quotation is what Peirce
intended." *Omission is not rejection.*

JFS: Unfortunately, he went far beyond Whately in considering that
"illative conjunction" to be an obligation, rather than a stylistic
convention.

Deeming this approach "unfortunate" is obviously nothing more than a
personal opinion. I join others like Bellucci and Pietarinen in finding it
extremely insightful and fruitful from a *philosophical *standpoint. After
all, as Pietarinen's title for his comprehensive collection of Peirce's
writings about EGs indicates, we are interested in exploring the logic of
the *future*, not getting stuck in the logic of the *past*.

JFS: Every logical or philosophical idea that can be explained in terms of
the earlier EGs can be explained with greater clarity, precision, and
generality with the EGs of 1911.  Nobody has ever found a single exception.

Such sweeping generalizations are unbecoming of someone who is purportedly
a scholar, especially since they are blatantly inaccurate. There can be no
question that the "logical or philosophical idea" of inference being
primitive and corresponding to the formal relation of implication, such
that negation is properly derived from it rather than treated as a
primitive itself, *cannot *"be explained with greater clarity, precision,
and generality with the EGs of 1911." In fact, so far, "Nobody has ever
found a single exception" to my own observation that there is no evidence
in any text by Peirce that he *rejected *this idea. Again, *omission is not
rejection.*

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian