JACK, List

For clarification, here is section 5 of my preprint in which I point out
that Peirce proposes a name to designate each category and a derived name
to designate the elements (phanerons) belonging to each of these
categories. By adopting these distinctions one avoids many confusions.

"5. Some preliminary and necessary clarifications about terminology.
Universal Categories are "categories of elements of phenomena." Therefore,
it is necessary to
distinguish clearly, in any statement, whether one is referring to a
particular category or an element
(phaneron) belonging to this category. Very frequently, Peirce, when he
designates elements, calls
"Priman" any element belonging to the Firstness (CP 1.295, 1.320),
"Secundan" any element
belonging to the Secondness (CP 1.296, 1.319, 1.320), "Tertian" any element
belonging to the
Thirdness (1.297, 1.351). In "The basis of the pragmaticism in
phaneroscopy" (EP2 360- 370) of
1903, Peirce makes systematic use of it (EP2: 364). A distinction rarely
found in the literature. Peirce
also uses other equivalent terms, notably "a Firstness" or "a Possible"
instead of "a Priman, "a
Secondness, "an Existent" or "a Fact" instead of "a Secundan" and "a
Thirdness, "a Necessitant"
instead of "a Tertian." (EP2, 479). This is the reason why it must be well
established, from this
moment on, that we will have a name to designate each of the three
categories and a well
differentiated name to designate the corresponding elements that belong to
each category. This is
necessary because Peirce often leaves the distinction to the reader. For
example, he often refers to the
correlates of relations as "First," "Second," "Third" (CP 2.274), and it
frequently happens that these
terms are interpreted as "a Firstness," "a Secondness," or "a Thirdness,"
respectively. Consequently,
we will proceed to systematic rewriting, which will be very useful in the
definitions in particular. "

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/352641475_The_Podium_of_Universal_Categories_and_their_degenerate_cases

Best,
Robert Marty