Jon, John, List,

JFS wrote: "the flow of ideas and inspirations for the scientists
themselves can flow in either direction," that is, from sciences higher or
lower in Peirce's *Classification of Sciences*.

Summarizing Jon's "candidate passages [which yet] do not quite match John
Sowa's paraphrase" of the flow from lower to higher sciences in the
Classification, we get:

CSP: . . . each science draws regulating principles from those superior to
it in abstractness, while drawing *data for its inductions* from the
sciences inferior to it in abstractness. . . (CP 3.427, 1896)

CSP: . . . each science may largely rest for its principles upon those
above it in the scale while drawing its *data *in part from those below it.
(EP 2:35, 1898)

CSP: . . . each science ought to make appeal, for its general principles,
exclusively to the sciences placed above it, while for *instances *and* special
facts*, it will find the sciences below it more serviceable. (RL 107, 1904)

CSP: . .  that which places above any given science those which lend it
principles, and places below it those which lend it *new applications*. (EP
2:458, 1909)

So (as a super-summary), according to Peirce, sciences lower in the
*Classification
of Sciences* can offer to those higher in it "data," more specifically,
"data for its inductions," "instances and special facts," and "new
applications."

That's it; at least from the theoretical standpoint as Peirce sees it (I
think in one place he also offers "examples" and "cases"). All this makes
good sense to me.

Meanwhile, clearly, individual scientists can and will do as they please
regarding "the flow of ideas and inspirations" in either direction (JFS).

That seems to me quite healthy for science generally.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror