List,

According to the physical doctrine, nothing ever happens but the continued
rectilinear velocities with the accelerations that accompany different relative
positions of the particles. All other relations, of which we know so many, are
inefficient. Knowledge in some way renders them efficient; and a sign is
something by knowing which we know something more. With the exception of
knowledge, in the present instant, of the contents of consciousness in that
instant (the existence of which knowledge isopen to doubt) all our thought and
knowledge is by signs. According to the physical doctrine, nothing ever happens
but the continued rectilinear velocities with the accelerations that accompany
different relative positions of the particles. All other relations, of which we
know so many, are inefficient. Knowledge in some way renders them efficient;
and a sign is something by knowing which we know something more.

I've been contemplating this passage taken from CP 8.332. What does Peirce mean
by "a sign is something by knowing which we know something more"? Vincent
Colapietro picks up on this in his article Is Peirce's Theory of Signs Truly
General?, Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 23(2): 1987: 205-234.

Colapietro notes, in dialog with Savan, that this pertains to a distinction
between species of sign (cognitive versus other varieties). I'm curious,
though, as to whether we can legitimately interpret the above (bolded) passage
as supporting the thesis that knowledge/experience of the phaneron (in part)
provides us with an excess of knowledge/experience of the phaneron beyond that
which is immediately given to us in any particular cognitive determinant?

I.e., does this indirectly support the idea of somatic acquisition of habit?
Or, perhaps more controversially, does this not sound/look/feel like Chomsky's
poverty of stimulus argument?  I'm currently trying to tease out all these
relations as part of something larger (but a lot of what interests me here will
not make the final cut of my own thesis and so I thought it might be useful to
throw it to the "floor" as it were).

Best

Jack