Bernard, List:

These are interesting comments, and I have changed the subject line in the
hope that we can have some further productive discussion about them.

BM: There is also the rationale of the capacity to experiment the possible
/ impossible routes upon the ordered structure. This is the reason that
lead me to insert the Xth division (assurance of instinct, experience,
form) before all the descriptions of the interpretants.

Peirce's use of abducent/inducent/deducent for the Od-S-If trichotomy in an
earlier taxonomy (R 339:424[285r], 1906) obviously suggests correspondence
with the three kinds of argument as abductive/inductive/deductive, which is
presumably why most scholars place it *after *the S-If trichotomy.
Inserting it *before *all the interpretant trichotomies entails (among
other things) that *every *argument is a deducent with assurance of form.
However, this is strictly the case only for a valid *deductive *argument--its
form is such that its conclusion is *necessarily *true as long as its
premisses are true. For an *inductive *argument, the assurance comes
instead from experience--if the conclusion is false, then this will *eventually
*come to light in the long run. For an *abductive *(or retroductive)
argument, the assurance comes instead from instinct--the proposed
explanatory hypothesis is prompted by *il lume naturale* and considered
merely *plausible*.

BM: Not doing so will lead to render phaneroscopy a simple paraphrase of
semiotic, ending into some kind of tautology between them.

Please elaborate. How could my proposed order of the last six trichotomies
for sign classification somehow reduce phaneroscopy and semeiotic to the
same field of study?

BM: I am on the contrary convinced that Peirce was after 1903 in search of
a means for ascertaining the truth of the three categories. After having
built a solid house on the logical side, implanted on philosophy, he was
searching after what the practical observation of phanerons could reinforce
or dismiss.

Again, please elaborate. I generally agree with these statements, but what
specific bearing do they have on the order of the last six trichotomies for
sign classification?

Thanks,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian