Gary R., List:

I apologize for this lengthy post with numerous Peirce quotations, but you
raised several issues that are deep and complex, such that I saw no other
way to address them adequately. I have changed the subject line since we
are not really discussing Champagne's article anymore.

GR: Doesn't your Whiteboard expansion of the Blackboard example have God
scribing a particular universe with some particular characteristics out of
all the Platonic possibilities; so, for prime example, our universe?

Yes, "whiteboard" is my suggested shorthand for a melded group of chalk
marks on the blackboard, representing a Platonic world; and our existing
universe is "a discontinuous mark," a continuum of lower dimensionality, on
one such whiteboard (NEM 4:345, 1898; CP 6.206-208, 1898). I discuss this
in detail in section 5 of "A Neglected Additament: Peirce on Logic,
Cosmology, and the Reality of God" (
https://tidsskrift.dk/signs/article/view/103187).

GR: If our universe has no beginning, then what is the purpose and meaning
of God scribing some particular potential Platonic ideas which will
constitute characters of *this* universe?

What Peirce states is that "past time had no definite beginning, yet came
about by a process which in a generalized sense, of which we cannot easily
get much idea, was a development" (CP 6.506, c. 1906). He elaborates on
this in an earlier manuscript, right after giving a brief commentary on the
first few verses of Genesis.

CSP: This first day of creation was all in the very first moment of time.
That first moment of time was of course infinitely long ago. But more than
that, although it was but one moment, it was infinitely longer than any
number of ages. It contained as great a multitude of ages as there are
points upon a continuous line. In one sense this continuum was not time, it
is true, because it all occupied but a moment of time. But it was not only
strictly analogous to time, but it gradually and continuously developed
into time; so that it was of one continuous nature with time. All that
follows from the principles of continuity. (NEM 4:139, 1898)

Nevertheless, God as a "disembodied spirit, or pure mind, has its being out
of time" (CP 6.490, 1908). Hence, time as a continuous whole is a
*created *aspect
of our existing universe, even if it extends into the infinite past and
infinite future as Peirce maintains. A *definite *beginning of time, such
as the singularity posited by the Big Bang theory, would be a
*discontinuity*. He rejects this accordingly, claiming instead that "there
is no absolutely first and last of time" and "there must be a connection of
time ring-wise" (CP 1.498, c. 1896) such that it must somehow "return into
itself" (CP 1.274, 1902). I discuss this in detail in section 7 of
"Temporal Synechism: A Peircean Philosophy of Time" (https://rdcu.be/b9xVm).

GR: As for scientists' views of whether physical laws are immutable --
likely the opinion of most every 19th and 20th century physicist -- today
that may be changing.

This is a welcome development, but the Big Bang theory is now quite
entrenched within our entire culture, not just the community of physicists.
I suspect that most people do not recognize the underlying *assumption *that
the physical laws of our universe have not changed since immediately after
the alleged singularity.

GR: Now I thought your Whiteboard expansion of Peirce's Blackboard example
was, at least in part, meant to suggest that other universes were possible
out of the infinite number of Platonic characters which could be 'chosen',
as it were, by the Inscriber.

Peirce himself suggests that there are (or at least could be) multiple
Platonic worlds corresponding to different groups of melded chalk marks
that I call whiteboards, which would presumably be different from not only
our universe of actuality but also the entire universe of possibilities
from which it is actualized. As such, our finite imaginations likely cannot
even conceive those alternative possibilities, but the infinite mind of God
certainly could. As Peirce says, "We start, then, with nothing, pure zero.
... It is the germinal nothing, in which the whole universe is involved or
foreshadowed. As such, it is absolutely undefined and unlimited
possibility--boundless possibility. There is no compulsion and no law. It
is boundless freedom" (CP 6.217, 1898). But *whose *freedom? I take it to
be *divine *freedom, which God exercises in *choosing *which possibilities
to actualize, including our entire existing universe.

GR: Finally, what of Peirce's view that this universe at least will at last
deaden into cold material wholly lacking life and spirit?

As I understand it, Peirce's view is *not *that this universe *will *at
some point in the *finite *future "deaden into cold material wholly lacking
life and spirit," but that it *would *do so in the *infinite *future.

CSP: At present, the course of events is approximately determined by law.
In the past that approximation was less perfect; in the future it will be
more perfect. The tendency to obey laws has always been and always will be
growing. We look back toward a point in the infinitely distant past when
there was no law but mere indeterminacy; we look forward to a point in the
infinitely distant future when there will be no indeterminacy or chance but
a complete reign of law. But at any assignable date in the past, however
early, there was already some tendency toward uniformity; and at any
assignable date in the future there will be some slight aberrancy from law.
(CP 1.409, EP 1:277, 1887-8)

The persistence of "some slight aberrancy from law" is Peirce's doctrine of
*tychism*. What prevents "the complete induration of habit reducing the
free play of feeling and the brute irrationality of effort to complete
death" is the reality that "absolute chance is a factor in the universe"; but
as he goes on to say, "when I speak of chance, I only employ a mathematical
term to express with accuracy the characteristics of freedom or
spontaneity" (CP 6.201, 1898). Again, *whose *freedom or spontaneity?
Again, I take it to be *divine *freedom and spontaneity.

This is consistent with understanding our entire universe to be what Peirce
calls "a *perfect *sign, in the sense that it involves the present
existence of no other sign except such as are ingredients of itself. ... It
is perpetually being acted upon by its object, from which it is perpetually
receiving the accretions of new signs, which bring it fresh energy, and
also kindle energy that it already had, but which had lain dormant" (EP
2:545n, 1906). What else but God could be the *object *of our entire
universe as a perfect sign--something external to, independent of, and
unaffected by it? What else but God could be continually infusing it with
new signs and fresh energy? "In addition, the perfect sign never ceases to
undergo changes of the kind we rather drolly call *spontaneous*, that is,
they happen *sua sponte* but not by *its* will" (ibid). By *whose *will
could these spontaneous changes happen, if not by God's will?

GR: For as everything which expresses "mind in general" must itself be
embodied, have a structure, whether it's a human mind (better: what some
would call a 'body-mind') or a bee body-mind colony (within its *umwelt*),
or a crystal-quasi-mind (also necessarily involving structure, although
admittedly it would be a stretch to call such structures 'embodied').

*Within *our universe as it exists today, it might indeed be the case that
all *created *mind is embodied, but my understanding of Peirce's objective
idealism is that it was *not *so at the (indefinite) beginning. If mind is
primordial and matter is a peculiar sort of mind, such that inveterate
habits *became *physical laws, then the embodiment of mind is in some sense
a subsequent development--in fact, a creative process that is still ongoing
and will never *actually *be finished. "This development of Reason
consists, you will observe, in embodiment, that is, in manifestation. The
creation of the universe, which did not take place during a certain busy
week, in the year 4004 B.C., but is going on today and never will be done,
is this very development of Reason" (CP 1.615, EP 2:255, 1903).

GR: In my view (perhaps not Deacon's, but springboarding off of it), mind
is certainly primordial as it *must* be active for there to be any kind of
cosmic evolution (let alone, and long before the biological one) in the
structuring of those 'materials' ... that is, everything prerequisite for
their eventual forming viable structures via Deacon's 'constraints' into
such structural arrangements as crystals, and organisms such as bees ...

As I understand Peirce's view, it is that mind is not merely what
*structures *matter, it is what *precedes *and *becomes *matter. Those
"materials" do not exist from the (indefinite) beginning, but instead come
into existence as primordial created mind gradually evolves into
matter--"specialized and partially deadened mind" (CP 6.102, EP 1:312,
1892), which is "so completely under the domination of habit as to act with
almost perfect regularity & to have lost its powers of forgetting & of
learning" (R 936:3, no date).

GR: For the principle of what is the equivalent of created ur-continuity
reveals that nothing is truly independent of, if not literally all things,
but virtually all things.

Indeed, this is a fundamental tenet of *synechism*, and thus of Peirce's
entire philosophical system.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian