John, List:

I have restored the subject line to match my post that is quoted below (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2022-04/msg00003.html). We have
been over much of this ground on multiple occasions in the past, so I will
try to be brief.

JFS: In the same year, Peirce defined *fictive*: “For the fictive is that
whose characters depend upon what characters somebody attributes to it”
(EP2:209). That is true of every theory of pure mathematics. Its creator is
the mathematician who specifies the axioms.

As Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen writes, "Peirce would have not accepted a
fictionalist way of looking at mathematics. His remarks on fiction and the
use and meaning of fictional names are plentiful, but they never bear on
mathematics ... The identities of mathematical objects must be free from
such singular attributions" (
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267174719_Pragmaticism_as_an_anti-foundationalist_philosophy_of_mathematics,
2010, pp. 168-169). Pietarinen also discusses why Peirce cannot be neatly
classified as a mathematical intuitionist, structuralist, or platonist,
either.

JFS: That is not what Brouwer said. He claimed that without a constructive
proof, nobody can know whether a theory is true or false.

I said nothing about Brouwer or constructivism. I merely observed how
the *formal
system* of intuitionistic logic deviates from the *formal system* of
classical logic.

JFS: Therefore, intuitionism prohibits theories that assume entities
without any method for constructing them. But in any theory that can be
proved by constructive methods, the negation of a false statement is indeed
true.

I did not say otherwise. I merely stated (accurately) that the *formal
system* of intuitionistic logic rejects the law of excluded middle by
denying that the negation of a false proposition *must *be true.

JFS: For the EG syntax from 1897 to 1913, a scroll may be replaced by a
nest of two ovals or vice-versa without the slightest change of meaning.

I have never disputed this. Indeed, when implementing *classical *logic
using EG, a scroll and a nest of two cuts are equivalent.

JFS: In the early days, Peirce mistakenly thought that a “sign of illation”
was important.

Peirce consistently expresses that view throughout all his writings on
logic, not just in the early days, and whether he was mistaken about it is
a matter of opinion. As Francesco Bellucci and Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen
summarize, "We have discussed Peirce’s idea that the relation of illation
is the primitive relation of logic and we have shown that this idea
constitutes the fundamental motive of Peirce’s philosophy of notation, both
algebraic and graphical" (
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275038453_Existential_Graphs_as_an_Instrument_of_Logical_Analysis_Part_1_Alpha,
2016, p. 235). I am not aware of any passage in Peirce's writings where he
repudiates this position.

JFS: The derivation of negation from a scroll is an identity; it can be
used in either direction.

As far as I know, Peirce *never *proposes attaching a nested cut to the one
enclosing it, thus *deriving *a scroll from two cuts. In fact, he
explicitly *denies *that a consequence (scroll) is a composite of two
negations (nested cuts). Where he discusses the scroll at all, he typically
treats it as a primitive and then derives the negation cut from it as the
implication of falsity, with the blackened inner close shrunk to
infinitesimal size and thus invisible.

JFS: Deriving a scroll from two negations is the direction Peirce preferred
after May 1911. He repeated that preference in 8 November 1913.

Again, I am not aware of any passage in Peirce's writings where he derives
a scroll from nested cuts or expresses, let alone repeats, a preference for
that approach.

JFS: That is Oostra’s theory. He is entitled to use any notation he prefers
and define it any way he chooses. But his theory is unrelated to anything
Peirce wrote.

It is also the theory of Ma Minghui and Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen underlying
GrIn, another implementation of intuitionistic logic using Alpha EG that
distinguishes the scroll for "if A then B" from nested cuts for "not both A
and not-B" (https://doi.org/10.2143/LEA.245.0.3285706, 2019). Moreover,
Peirce explicitly and repeatedly derives negation from the implication of
falsity both algebraically and graphically, which is consistent with any
axiomatization of intuitionistic logic.

JFS: It’s unlikely that Peirce left “hints” about a theory that contradicts
one of his most important innovations.

I agree that Peirce almost certainly would have rejected the specific
*philosophical *motivation that prompted Brouwer, Heyting, and others to
develop intuitionistic logic and give it that name. Nevertheless, he clearly
anticipated the resulting *formal system*. As Oostra points out, if Peirce
had simply omitted the "fifth icon" from his paper, "On the Algebra of
Logic: A Contribution to the Philosophy of Notation" (CP 3.359-403, 1885),
then he would have provided a basis for axiomatizing intuitionistic
logic rather
than classical logic.

Moreover, the current mathematical conception of continuity most closely
matching Peirce's is not Robinson's non-stationary analysis, it is smooth
infinitesimal analysis as developed within category theory; and the formal
logic of that system is intuitionistic, because it is not the case that an
infinitesimal as defined therein is either zero or non-zero. Accordingly, I
have suggested that if Peirce had followed through on his own hints, then
the *formal system* that we now call intuitionistic logic might instead be
known today as *synechistic *logic.

JFS: Today, logicians do not use truth tables to represent and reason about
any version of modal logic.

I agree, and that is because modern modal logic is intensional rather than
extensional, as I acknowledge in my more recent post on "Modal Logic and
Pragmaticism" (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2022-04/msg00009.html).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt